Skid Plate Removal During Oil Change
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Skid Plate Removal During Oil Change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I decided to try one of those fast lube places on my way to work (I haven't had a ...

Skid Plate Removal During Oil Change

So I decided to try one of those fast lube places on my way to work (I haven't had a chance to go to my normal mechanic) and they charged me a $3.99 "Skid Plate Removal" fee. When I questioned them, they said most new cars require the skid plate to be removed in order to change the oil. I have a stock 2004 WRX wagon. Is this legit? They seem to try to get you with the cheap base price but get you with these add-ons (like +$6 for the Mobil 1 oil filter).

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RichE
    So I decided to try one of those fast lube places on my way to work (I haven't had a chance to go to my normal mechanic) and they charged me a $3.99 "Skid Plate Removal" fee. When I questioned them, they said most new cars require the skid plate to be removed in order to change the oil. I have a stock 2004 WRX wagon. Is this legit? They seem to try to get you with the cheap base price but get you with these add-ons (like +$6 for the Mobil 1 oil filter).

Thanks,
    Rich
    I think I've heard of some people doing the change without removing it, though most who do like to modify the plate and cut a bit of a hole.

All-in-all I'd say that yes you have to remove it, but that doesn't mean the fee makes much sense. It can't take more than 5 minutes to take that thing off, and it probably takes less.

I've yet to change my oil (only at 2K) so this is all from what I'd heard.

Even if you did modify the plate (it's really plastic AFAIK, plate seems to elicit thoughts of metal) they'd probably still charge it. Plus, the plate is there for a reason and it's probably not in your best interesting to modify it.

Cliff notes: Yes, you have to remove the plate to change the oil, but $4 is kind of a rip off. That's their way of still offering $19.99 oil changes but staying ahead of inflation and making more money.

Probly not much help but on my 05 sedan I didnt need to remove the skid plate.

I have an 04 as well. It's 4 pop-clips and 5 bolts to remove the plate. I have entertained the thought of cutting access holes for oil changes but I've never done it.

If I remember properly from the last time I changed the oil, its possible to change the filter without removing the unmodified plate, but not drain the oil. The oil pan would drain onto the plastic and go everywhere.

DIY = no hidden fees!
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

I don't see a problem of cutting a hole for the oil filter and drain hole. I've seen many aftermaket skid plates with these holes including the one from SSI.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RichE

Thanks,
    Rich
    Learn how to do it yourself. With a few simple tools and a drain pan it is easy. Then you will know it is done correctly.

Yes, charging $4 for that is lame. It too is easy to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Learn how to do it yourself. With a few simple tools and a drain pan it is easy. Then you will know it is done correctly.

Yes, charging $4 for that is lame. It too is easy to remove.
    +1

Pick up a Fumoto valve and then (providing you cut the holes in the skid plate) you can change your oil with NO TOOLS.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.