Evo wreck - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Evo wreck within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am not going to get into this whole "speeding" debate with your guys, but I more or less agree ...

I am not going to get into this whole "speeding" debate with your guys, but I more or less agree with Andrew and Ray.

As far as the Evo wreck, I am just glad that their injuries were not fatal and hopefully they make a full recovery. I am a pretty safe drive, but because my car "can" I often find myself taking sort of "risky" moves on the road. I dont fly around at 100mph+ but I do make some fast lane changes and some hard turns for the fun of it, I just cant imagine how fast your life can change like that, ESPECIALLY with your g/f in the car. If I were to make a "risky" move while driving and crash my car and my g/f died on my account I could not live with myself. I would pray for death.
    Really puts into perspective how fragile life can be. When I first got my license I was one of those idiots that would top out his car and go racing in traffic, etc... I remember topping out my moms GrandPrix after only having my licensel like 2 months @ 120mph with 3 other people in the car including my g/f. If I could go back, I would beat the sh!t out of myself for those action, but all I can do is just thank the Lord that I didn't have to pay a heavy price for my ignorance.
    Not only could you kill a loved one of your own, but also a loved one of someone else.. Just not worth it!
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^^^Reminds me of my first few weeks with a license. I had a '70 Chevy Impala (350 small block) that I took up to 115 on a dark straight road in the city. I used to go down the same road with 2 wheels up on the sidewalk at 70 mph. A couple of close calls slowed me down..
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

What if im driving behind my friend...I slow down, he goes up about 2 miles on his cell phone(hands free) and lets me know the road is smooth/no cars or cops/ good to go. And then I go up until I get to his truck.
    Im plannin a trip and goin like 80 miles on the taconic parkway, and I remember from last year I went on it, there were some nice long straights.
    It would be pretty late at night too..I remember last year there was not one other car on the road other than ours and our friends. But we both had trucks.
    I know its still not legal but I see no wrong doing other than that. Only person I could possibly harm is myself, and thats pretty hard on a straight road.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    If she takes it in the ass and is presentable she's a keeper.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    . I remember topping out my moms GrandPrix after only having my licensel like 2 months @ 120mph with 3 other people in the car including my g/f. If I could go back, I would beat the sh!t out of myself for those action, but all I can do is just thank the Lord that I didn't have to pay a heavy price for my ignorance.
    Not only could you kill a loved one of your own, but also a loved one of someone else.. Just not worth it!

Reminds me of when I first got my license and would go up into the mountains to drift around corners(yes real drifting back in the late 80's) in my dads 76' Datsun pickup with 3 people in the cab and 2 people in the back of the bed stoned out of my mind. Very stupid. I could have killed the people in the cab so easily, or even everybody in the truck. Or how many times I used to drink and drive in High School. I am very lucky I never killed anyone and had to live with it for the rest of my life.

Just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Sorry, but I'm in agreement with Andrew on this one. 100+ mph speeds on any American public road at any time of day seriously reduces the margin of error for too many things. (Big rock falls out pickup truck, becomes obstacle that could be deadly at 100, person in car forgets to turn on their lights, is invisible to you 'til it's too late, animal in the road, person was stopped on the side but isn't back up to speed yet so closing velocity doesn't permit safe avoidance maneuver., etc, etc, etc...)

It's just common sense.
    I would have to dissagree with the comment about it seriously reducing the margin of error. The jump from 65 to 100 isn't much by any means. If the rock is deadly at 100, it's gonna be deadly at 65. With a person forgetting there lights, you should be wary of your surroundings and wether or not it's well lit. Down here in south FL the highways are very well lit and you can see everything, not to mention the odds of animals are very very slim due to the surrounding walls etc.

Wit a car on the side of the road, it comes down to a bend in the road really. You should always slow it down a bit while going around blind bends, then pick your speed back up when it's straight and you can see.

What im saying is that it all comes down to how you go about it, if your an idiot then doing 100 can be dangerous. But if your smart about it, and you take the proper precautions, then doing 100 isn't a problem nor is it dangerous. They would tell you the same thing over in Germany, if you drive responsibly then doing 100mph is not dangerous.

But like you said it comes down to common sense. If you don't think and judge the conditions accordingly, then you shouldn't be on the road period. Some of us were also better trained then others....aka my family used to race prototype cars , so speed is all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    No, actually it's completely true.. I think I have the newspaper article somewhere to prove it if you want me to look. I didn't say they had any more accidents. I just said that the government was alarmed at the number of fatal wrecks. The push for mandatory speed limits had nothing to do with American drivers, they could care less how many people get killed over here.
    Yes they have more fatal accidents etc, but when you compare the ratios they have far fewer acccidents and deaths when compaired to the US etc. It's actually been proven that roads without speed limits have fewer accidents, I gotta find the experiment they did on that.

Heres another link showing that the deaths are basically the same, that speed isn't the factor.
    http://www.sense.bc.ca/news/news-02.htm
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

Sorry, but I'm in agreement with Andrew on this one. 100+ mph speeds on any American public road at any time of day seriously reduces the margin of error for too many things. (Big rock falls out pickup truck, becomes obstacle that could be deadly at 100, person in car forgets to turn on their lights, is invisible to you 'til it's too late, animal in the road, person was stopped on the side but isn't back up to speed yet so closing velocity doesn't permit safe avoidance maneuver., etc, etc, etc...)

It's just common sense.
    Also, theres an error in your rationalization here.

What if your on the Autobahn, are you not in danger of a random animal running out, an idiot with his lights off, and someone merging? So why isn't it dangerous for them? It's the same situation, the difference is there drivers are better educated, unlike our sham of a system.

The key is to be smart about it, and judge the situation accordingly, you have to drive for other people and assume everyone is an idiot.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not going to write a wordy rebuttal, but just so you know, go open a car magazine sometime and look at the braking distances for a given car as you go up in speed. There is an absolutely HUGE difference between 65mph and 100mph, my friend.

As to the Autobahn; I've spent time driving in Europe while there on business. The skill level of the average Euro-driver is head and shoulders above the average American. Having said that, there are many accidents on the Autobahn. This notion that people have that they never crash over there is just wrong.

You're going to say and think whatever you want to justify this "safe to drive triple digit speeds at night on a highway" thing. That's fine. Do it long enough and something WILL happen, and you'll quickly realize afterwards (if you're still alive) that the same event at a lower speed wouldn't have resulted in as much carnage. I hope you're not responsible for someone else's death. That'll be a really horrible thing to live with..
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I'm not going to write a wordy rebuttal, but just so you know, go open a car magazine sometime and look at the braking distances for a given car as you go up in speed. There is an absolutely HUGE difference between 65mph and 100mph, my friend.

As to the Autobahn; I've spent time driving in Europe while there on business. The skill level of the average Euro-driver is head and shoulders above the average American. Having said that, there are many accidents on the Autobahn. This notion that people have that they never crash over there is just wrong.

You're going to say and think whatever you want to justify this "safe to drive triple digit speeds at night on a highway" thing. That's fine. Do it long enough and something WILL happen, and you'll quickly realize afterwards (if you're still alive) that the same event at a lower speed wouldn't have resulted in as much carnage. I hope you're not responsible for someone else's death. That'll be a really horrible thing to live with..
    I know full well the braking distance between 65-100mph etc. By your logic we should drive 40 since there is a good difference between that and 65.

Think about it, in the past the speed limit was lower, which had a lot to do with the cars etc. Todays cars are much better in every respect, and are much safer at higher speeds then prior cars at lower speeds. Im just gonna take a guess here, and say that todays current cars stop quicker from 80+ then older cars did at the prior speed limits of what? 45-50? (im talking 60's-70's here and even earlier at that).

If your driving on the highway you need to give yourself appropriate room between you and the car ahead of you, this is common sense regardless of the speed you are doing. If your doing 100 leave yourself plenty of room and pay very close attention to your surroundings....things you should do even at 65.

At no point did I say that they never wreck on the Autobahn, nobody here has even remotely expressed such a dillusional fantasy. They do have fewer accidents though.

Like I said, there is not much difference if at all between a German driver doing 100 on the Autobahn and 100 on a good US highway. Both require the driver to judge the conditions and traffic etc to determine if it's ok.

If you drive long enough PERIOD something will happen. It's like they say with bikes, it's not a matter of IF you will wreck......it's WHEN. The same goes for driving, crap can happen at 20-50-80 etc etc.

Some people are just closed minded to all of this and assume that speed is the problem in accidents. Speed isn't the problem, it's idiots doing stupid things and not thinking, such as the DSM guy flying around a bend at 100+.

The point your still missing though, is that if the highway is empty, going 100 in a straight line is not dangerous. It is no different then driving 100 on an empty stretch on the Autobahn ....except for the whole legality thing heh. People just tend to be ignorant when it comes to speed, like I said it's all relative. It's just like the guy I knew who thought 65 was way too fast and would only do 45 because it's safer, lil did he know he is actually causing a dangerous situation on the highway. Or the lil granny who feels 40 is fast, and last I checked some states are looking to bump the speed limit up, but we still have to deal with all the horrid drivers.

But it looks like we shall agree to disagree. And I pray neither of us will have an accident at any speed, best of luck to both of us

I Support ClubWRX
    I give up. As I said before, good luck to you.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I give up. As I said before, good luck to you.
    Ya I think it's clear neither of us are going to budge on this , thankfully we were both adults about it and didnt start a giant flame war, seems only clubwrx has such people and is yet another reason I prefer this board over all others

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADPOOL
    Ya I think it's clear neither of us are going to budge on this , thankfully we were both adults about it and didnt start a giant flame war, seems only clubwrx has such people and is yet another reason I prefer this board over all others
    What, you don't think we could have had a peaceful discussion over at Nasioc?

[major sarcasm..]
    I agree; I've tried many forums. This is the only one that I keep gravitating back to.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

"I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

What, you don't think we could have had a peaceful discussion over at Nasioc?

[major sarcasm..]
    I agree; I've tried many forums. This is the only one that I keep gravitating back to.
    haha why surely those fine gents at nasioc could have an glorious discussion

Quote Originally Posted by DEADPOOL
    I know full well the braking distance between 65-100mph etc. By your logic we should drive 40 since there is a good difference between that and 65.
    Throughout this conversation we have been refering to highways and expressways, etc...

I know of TONS of highways in the US with a 65mph speed limit. How many do you know of with a 100mph speed limit?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.