Evo wreck - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Evo wreck within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hope they both make it. Regarding the autobahn, yes they have no speed limits, in certain stretches. If the ...

I hope they both make it.

Regarding the autobahn, yes they have no speed limits, in certain stretches. If the road hits a certain angle there is a speed limit. I have been there and I have driven over 100 mph for good lengths of time.

The difference there is that the road is designed for it, everyone is driving that rate of speed, there are good drivers there, they adhere to the laws of the road, etc.

It is much safer to drive at those speeds there but you can't relate that to driving 100+ in the US where the roads aren't designed for it and no body else is driving at those speeds. Oh, and just forget about the fact the we can't drive by the laws of the road here at 55mph.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADPOOL
    Im just wondering what the hell he did to lose control? I mean if he was just driving 100+ on the highway and just randomly lost control.......he has to just completely suck at life/driving.

If you on an open highway, 100-120 is nothing, especially in a performance car. People are always saying "oh doing 90+ on the highway is so so dangerous" no it's not, go over to Germany and drive the Autobahn with no speed limit where they cruise at 100+ and it's normal. Heck, I went on a road trip and had the rover pegged at 110 for about 4hrs and you could barely tell since the car doesn't feel like it's going fast, it was built for it.

This guy must have been doing something really stupid to just randomly lose control.

There was also a big push in the German government last year to impose mandatory 60mph speed limits on the autobahn because so many people were getting killed driving on it. I don't know what happened with this legislation, but it had a lot of support.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    There was also a big push in the German government last year to impose mandatory 60mph speed limits on the autobahn because so many people were getting killed driving on it. I don't know what happened with this legislation, but it had a lot of support.
    Actually that is far from the truth. They actually have far fewer accidents then we do, although sometimes the crash can be worse and result in death, overall though they have far fewer deaths then we do with our speed limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Who knows. Maybe an animal ran out in front of him. I also hear that they basically clean you up with a scoop when you eat it on the Autobahn.
    If an animal ran out then he should have hit it.......unless it was a moose then it's a toss up heh. But with the Autobahn not every wreck is bad, it all depends on what you hit.

Quote Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed
    Regarding the autobahn, yes they have no speed limits, in certain stretches. If the road hits a certain angle there is a speed limit. I have been there and I have driven over 100 mph for good lengths of time.

The difference there is that the road is designed for it, everyone is driving that rate of speed, there are good drivers there, they adhere to the laws of the road, etc.

It is much safer to drive at those speeds there but you can't relate that to driving 100+ in the US where the roads aren't designed for it and no body else is driving at those speeds. Oh, and just forget about the fact the we can't drive by the laws of the road here at 55mph.
    I forget the exact percentage, but I think it was about 60% of the Autobahn has no speed limit.

True the roads are much thicker etc, and we both agree the drivers are far better educated then our system, they actually use there mirrors heh.

When I talk about doing 100+ on our US roads, im talking about driving at night with little to no cars on the highway, which is not dangerous. Now if you were to drive like that in traffic then your just an idiot. In medium traffic (everyone doing 65+) I cruise at 80-90 depending on the traffic, but if im on a road trip with no traffic etc, 100-120. I did a trip from Boca Raton FL to Indy for the USGP in about 13hrs. Thats about 1200 miles in 13hrs

I gotta agree about Americans not being able to even drive at 55mph(im Canadien), you should come down to south florida.....it's horrifying at how bad the drivers are. You have to assume there gonna do something stupid, I can't help but laugh at times.
    Last edited by DEADPOOL; 08-18-2005 at 01:19 AM.
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

I Support ClubWRX
    When I talk about doing 100+ on our US roads, im talking about driving at night with little to no cars on the highway, which is not dangerous.
    Good luck to you..
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX

If an animal ran out then he should have hit it.......unless it was a moose then it's a toss up heh.

Have you ever hit a deer? They make a mess out of you at 40mph. Sometimes they run right into the side of your car.

When I talk about doing 100+ on our US roads, im talking about driving at night with little to no cars on the highway, which is not dangerous.
    Ahh...the fearless "it won't happen to me attitude". I prefer not to roll the dice with other people's lives.

I Support ClubWRX
    OMG Andrew, I just noticed your sig for the first time.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    OMG Andrew, I just noticed your sig for the first time.
    I haven't had a sig in a while. That one was worthy

Have you ever hit a deer? They make a mess out of you at 40mph. Sometimes they run right into the side of your car.

Ahh...the fearless "it won't happen to me attitude". I prefer not to roll the dice with other people's lives.
    Deer....Moose......both are quite the worthy adversary.

It's not a "it wont happen to me attitiude" by any means, the fact is 100-120 late at night on an open and empty highway is not dangerous. A lot of our vehicles today are made to cruise at higher speeds, and our speed limits are a joke........but also good since the majority can't drive for there life.

And your not rolling the dice with other peoples lives being that your not doing this in traffic. Honestly, 100 is not fast. I had a friend who's dad felt that 65(the limit) was too fast and would only do 45(the min)......he felt that it was too dangerous to do 65. 100 is by no means fast.

I Support ClubWRX
    Deer....Moose......both are quite the worthy adversary.

It's not a "it wont happen to me attitiude" by any means, the fact is 100-120 late at night on an open and empty highway is not dangerous. A lot of our vehicles today are made to cruise at higher speeds, and our speed limits are a joke........but also good since the majority can't drive for there life.

And your not rolling the dice with other peoples lives being that your not doing this in traffic. Honestly, 100 is not fast. I had a friend who's dad felt that 65(the limit) was too fast and would only do 45(the min)......he felt that it was too dangerous to do 65. 100 is by no means fast.
    Somebody rolled the dice with my life a couple weeks ago when I was changing a flat early in the morning and a DSM whipped by me at 100+. It's not "safe" for others until you close the road for your use, and guarantee no one else is on the road. I've hit two deer in my life. Well, actually one hit me. The first was on the highway doing 65mph. I hit one with my S10 Blazer. I destroyed my truck, and two people behind me collided trying to avoid it. Yes, it was late at night. The second was in my 1987 Gutlass Supreme RWD. I was doing 60 mph on a highway when the deer ran out and hammered my right quarter, spinning me around. I got lucky and didn't hit anything. If I was doing 100+ things would have been different.

Somebody rolled the dice with my life a couple weeks ago when I was changing a flat early in the morning and a DSM whipped by me at 100+. It's not "safe" for others until you close the road for your use, and guarantee no one else is on the road. I've hit two deer in my life. Well, actually one hit me. The first was on the highway doing 65mph. I hit one with my S10 Blazer. I destroyed my truck, and two people behind me collided trying to avoid it. Yes, it was late at night. The second was in my 1987 Gutlass Supreme RWD. I was doing 60 mph on a highway when the deer ran out and hammered my right quarter, spinning me around. I got lucky and didn't hit anything. If I was doing 100+ things would have been different.
    Well thats a different story, you don't pass people at 100. When coming up on slower traffic you slow down because you never know when they might just jump in front of you, most don't bother to use mirrors. Otherwise it's not a danger.

I don't have to worry about deer in my location though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well thats a different story, you don't pass people at 100. When coming up on slower traffic you slow down because you never know when they might just jump in front of you, most don't bother to use mirrors. Otherwise it's not a danger.

I don't have to worry about deer in my location though.
    I was changing my tire on the shoulder around a bend. The guy in the DSM couldn't see me. How could he have known I was there?

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry, but I'm in agreement with Andrew on this one. 100+ mph speeds on any American public road at any time of day seriously reduces the margin of error for too many things. (Big rock falls out pickup truck, becomes obstacle that could be deadly at 100, person in car forgets to turn on their lights, is invisible to you 'til it's too late, animal in the road, person was stopped on the side but isn't back up to speed yet so closing velocity doesn't permit safe avoidance maneuver., etc, etc, etc...)

It's just common sense.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I was changing my tire on the shoulder around a bend. The guy in the DSM couldn't see me. How could he have known I was there?
    did u have ur emergency flashers on?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid117
    did u have ur emergency flashers on?
    yup

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Actually that is far from the truth. They actually have far fewer accidents then we do, although sometimes the crash can be worse and result in death, overall though they have far fewer deaths then we do with our speed limits.

No, actually it's completely true.. I think I have the newspaper article somewhere to prove it if you want me to look. I didn't say they had any more accidents. I just said that the government was alarmed at the number of fatal wrecks. The push for mandatory speed limits had nothing to do with American drivers, they could care less how many people get killed over here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.