oil plug leaking

This is a discussion on oil plug leaking within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok first things first, this is the first time I've done an oil change on my WRX. I noticed this ...

Question oil plug leaking

Ok first things first, this is the first time I've done an oil change on my WRX. I noticed this afternoon that there is a small drip of oil coming from the plug on the oil pan. I think this has to do with the gasket on the oil plug. Is there a specific way you have to place the gasket between the plug and the pan?

Thanks in advance! I just want the oil to stop dripping =)

-=Brian=-
    05 OBP WRX STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

? Did you replace the crush washer ?
    I have done enough changes that you can get away with not changing the washer; however, I have had your situation where a slow drip can/will develope.
    At under a $1 for a washer from the dealer it is not a bad idea to just change it...
    If you did change it , hmmmmmm try again...
    Be sure to wipe both matting surfaces so they are clean & torque to 33 ft/lb's for a WRX

you can change it now if you are quick... (do this on a cool car)
    Have a drain pan under the car.
    Have a new washer ready take out the plug, & put your thumb over the hole... with your free hand change the washer... & put it all back together... wipe up every thing & your self & you're done.
    Last edited by GLwagon; 10-18-2002 at 11:50 AM.
    It's stock... honest it is.

?wana race?

yep

I definitely replaced the crush washer but it is still dripping. I will tighten it a bit when I get home but after that if it's still dripping i will try your trick with plugging the hole with my thumb while swapping the gasket.

Thanks for your help, GLwagon! Oh yeah, do you know if the gasket (crush washer) has to face a certain way when you put it on the drain plug?

-=Brian=-
    05 OBP WRX STi

There is no orentation on the washer in the service manuals...
    I'ld put it skinny side up...less surface area / more preasure.
    I'm guessing you did wipe the plug & oilpan before you put it together the first time...
    Is this a conventional oil or synthetic. If it is something like a 5w30 synthetic it can find a leak any day...
    It's stock... honest it is.

?wana race?

I didnt change my washer. It was leaking at first but then I tightened it and it dosnt seem like it is anymore. Do I have to buy this from the dealer though? My subaru dealer is quite a while away.

I Support ClubWRX
    It probably is something you need to get from Subaru. Just get a bunch, they're cheap. You could also order a bunch from www.subaruparts.com
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*