Dark Oil typical?

This is a discussion on Dark Oil typical? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I changed my oil (Mobil 1 10w30).. ran about 3500 miles then changed again... the oil was dark but ...

Dark Oil typical?

Well I changed my oil (Mobil 1 10w30).. ran about 3500 miles then changed again... the oil was dark but not black.. when it was coming out the oil pan you could still see through it... it was just a dark brown... i just changed my oil again at 2000 miles and i got almost same result, but it was a much lighter brown. Is it typical for hot weather? (typcially 91-93 degrees in north west florida) or should i hook my engine up with some kinda treatment? suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the only way to get any sort of reliable info out of oil as far as change intervervals is to send a sample off to get analyzed. I will tell you that changing oil after 2k is probably completely unnecessary.

Read this link for more info than you could ever want about oil.

You might consider going to a x-W40 or x-W50 oil if you're consistently driving hard in those ambient temperatures. I use the M1 0-W40 (76,000 and still running like clockwork), though I'm sure you'd have no use for the 0 capability As I'm sure someone will point out, that's not on Subaru's recommended list, but it's OEM choice of the other manufacturer of boxer engines, and that's good enough for me...

i wouldn't say i drive tooo hard... i punch it pretty often but not like redlining it. i was just wondering if i was burning oil, or if dark oil is typical, since 10w30 looks pretty clear when it goes in. i changed it at 2k cuz i thought i was gonna be driving my car to orlando, so i wanted my oil fresh for a long drive.

oil gets dark as you use it, thats normal. if you want to find out just what is in it, get it analyzed at the point when you'd normally change it. I think its a combination of the oil becoming contaminated with micro-fine particles (too fine to filter, and not terribly harmful) and heat.
    Dave
    01 RS