Exterior maintenance: How long before our window seals rot?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Exterior maintenance: How long before our window seals rot? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The WRX's cool frameless doors save weight, but there are a few caveats. The first one I noticed is minor: ...

Question Exterior maintenance: How long before our window seals rot?

The WRX's cool frameless doors save weight, but there are a few caveats. The first one I noticed is minor: if it's raining, water drips onto your seat when you open the door (boo frickin hoo).

However, the second thing I've noticed is the way the glass window presses against the rubber liner (bending it) to form a seal. I often get condensation in between the window and the seal... it doesn't look nice and I open all the doors and wipe the condensation off the window and the seal almost daily.

I'm worried that the water combined with the Florida sun is damaging my window seals. Is this a valid concern? What can be done to protect the window seals from the effects of the environment? I already cover my car.

How much does it cost to get the seals replaced anyways?

thanks!

- j

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Spray silicone lube on the window and door seals. It keeps the rubber conditioned and prevents cracking.

Originally posted by tan
    Spray silicone lube on the window and door seals. It keeps the rubber conditioned and prevents cracking.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll do that. I've got a bottle of silicon lube right that we use when intubating patients.

Doesn't this stuff smear onto the windows?

tan
    Yeah it does (that's why you open the doors)

You can always spray the stuff heavily on a paper towel and then wipe the seals down.

Originally posted by tan
    Yeah it does (that's why you open the doors)
    LOL. What I meant was, doesn't the lube you apply to the seal come off onto the window when you close the door?

tan
    Yeah it will, you need to give it time for the stuff to penetrate, then remove whatever excess.

Aren't there any rubber treatments that could be used?

One problem I have is the rubber leaving spots on the window. They can't be wiped off normally or with window cleaner. I was going to try using alcohol or goo gone. Anybody else get this?

I can't tell you how they are now, but in '98 on a 1983 subaru the seals wern't "roted" but did have a few more leaks than a new WRX... 15 years pretty good...
    I can't tell you if they were treated or not... I never went any further than dash protectant... once in a blue moon...
    Last edited by GLwagon; 10-28-2002 at 07:37 PM.
    It's stock... honest it is.

?wana race?

tan
    you can use Armor-All if you have it laying around

3M

I used Armor-all, and I have a 3M lotion product called "Refresh" for leather + vinyl, which I use on all vinyl, plastic and leather parts of my interior.

The stuff smells kinda wussy but I am a sucker for 3M products. Those guys are geniuses. The lotion is marketed towards women but hey, I'm in touch with my sensitive side.

Gets a good shine out of leather, not unlike Meguiar's wipes.

tan
    I think it's more like a nice deep matte finish. I got the one with the blue cap at home.

But it does smell nice

I had a 1994 WRX in Australia and the door seals were still fine at the end of 2001 when I sold it to come to the USA. 7 years in the Aussie sun is pretty good.

Re: Exterior maintenance: How long before our window seals rot?

Originally posted by jutus
    However, the second thing I've noticed is the way the glass window presses against the rubber liner (bending it) to form a seal. I often get condensation in between the window and the seal... it doesn't look nice and I open all the doors and wipe the condensation off the window and the seal almost daily.- j
    i hate that, condensation of the rubber liner, it always happens whenever it rains hard or i wash my car...
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.