hardwire passport 8500 on 2005 wrx

This is a discussion on hardwire passport 8500 on 2005 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; [IMG] i'm trying to hardwire the passport 8500 onto my 2005 wrx. i choose to tap in to the cig ...

hardwire passport 8500 on 2005 wrx

[IMG]
    i'm trying to hardwire the passport 8500 onto my 2005 wrx. i choose to tap in to the cig lighter but i don't know which wire to tap in. there 4 of them in different colors.

black, red, white + blue and green.

the direct wire kit has red and black. so i suppose to connect the black to some kind of ground (like some metal near by) and the red to cig lighter's red?

ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-2.jpg  
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone?

It's been a while since I did my 8500 so I don't remember all the details but...

I think the red wire on your kit is positive. So that would have to connect to the wire going to center of your lighter. That's probably the red lighter wire but you can find out for sure if you have access to a multimeter.
    The black wire in your kit can use any ground so you could either tap into the black lighter wire or find a screw somewhere that goes through metal.

I think the kit comes with its own fuse but if it doesn't I'd recommend fusing the positive connection, by the way.

The green and white wires are probably for the "ashtray" light.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

a meter or test light is your friend.
    i connected to the power for the rearview mirror. i think it was a blue wire and connected ground to the body.

04blkWRX, why do you need to fuse it? Will the unit short out if you don't?

Also, what type of fuse did you use?

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Quote Originally Posted by mykedude
    04blkWRX, why do you need to fuse it? Will the unit short out if you don't?

Also, what type of fuse did you use?

~myke
    No, you don't need a fuse at all if you don't want, I fused it to protect the unit and my car's wiring. If the detector shorts somehow it could pull too much current for the wires. The car's built-in fuses will probably protect you from starting a fire, but I put a lower amperage fuse to protect the detector as well. It's probably unnecessary but I figure it's an ounce of protection.

The instructions specified what fuse it wanted, IIRC it was a 2-amp, quick-blow kind. I got a fuse holder at Radio Shack.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

thanks, i got it wired all up. looking good now.

ray

Quote Originally Posted by 04blkWRX
    It's been a while since I did my 8500 so I don't remember all the details but...

I think the red wire on your kit is positive. So that would have to connect to the wire going to center of your lighter. That's probably the red lighter wire but you can find out for sure if you have access to a multimeter.
    The black wire in your kit can use any ground so you could either tap into the black lighter wire or find a screw somewhere that goes through metal.

I think the kit comes with its own fuse but if it doesn't I'd recommend fusing the positive connection, by the way.

The green and white wires are probably for the "ashtray" light.

side effect of hard wiring passport?

after hard wiring the passport 8500, i notice the amber lights doesn't flash when i lock/unlock the doors. why is that? did i break something?

i connect the positive to cig lighter's positive and negative to a metal screw near by and run the wire through steeling wheel and up to the front dash.

it's a 2005 wrx.

ray