seeping oil filter

This is a discussion on seeping oil filter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, I changed my oil the other day and I'm getting some seepage out of the new filter. It only ...

Question seeping oil filter

Well, I changed my oil the other day and I'm getting some seepage out of the new filter. It only seems to be seeping from the part of the seal that is closer to the rear of the car. So, if I park my car facing uphill, it drips.

I've changed my oil a number of times & this is the first time I've had this issue.

Any ideas what I could have missed? I'd rather not repeat this mistake.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    check its tightness....

but a long shot is...when you removed the old filter...was the gasket still stuck to the engine?

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, assuming you checked to make sure it was tight:

1) You could just have a filter with a defective gasket.

2) Did you smear a little oil around the gasket before you installed it? This promotes a better seal and discourages the gasket from ripping while tightening (a rare occurrence).

3) Perhaps you over-tightened it? I have see gaskets blow out from too much twisting. 3/4 turn or so past when the gasket contacts the block is plenty. I've never seen one go without some serious twisting by somebody who didn't know better.

Beyond that, there's not much to it.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Same thing happened to me a couple of times. I found out that the trick is to make sure when you change your filter that the surface is completely clean. It takes a few more minutes to wait for all the oil to drip out and wipe clean, but after I've been doing this I haven't had a leak since. Another thing, make sure you put a good amound of new oil on the oil filter seal before you put it on.

Later,
    Andrew
    WR Blue Perl WRX

Thanks, guys. I did pour a bit of oil in the new filter & I coated the seal. I tightened it by hand at first. After I noticed it was seeping, I gave it a little twist with a wrench. I may just have to pull this one off & redo it, making sure everything is spotless clean. Damn. That Mobile 1 is $5 a quart.

I Support ClubWRX
    The good news is that you'll lose less than a quart if you just do the filter.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Smile Fixed it...

I put on a new filter & everthing was cool. I had access to a lift this time, so I made sure everything was squeaky clean. That lift sure beats crawling around on my garage floor.

I only lost around half a quart. Cheers.