AC not cold!!!

This is a discussion on AC not cold!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; have anyone that has an '02 wrx that already recharge their AC? i have only 49K miles on mines and ...

AC not cold!!!

have anyone that has an '02 wrx that already recharge their AC? i have only 49K miles on mines and my AC is not cold anymore. Its weird because i hardly use it. When ever i turn it on now, it makes a sound as if air is going through a pipe and stop after 2 seconds. The fan works but the air is not cold unless i drive it for a while then it becomes a little colder, but not as cold as it suppose to be. I bought the recharge kit and tried to recharge it, but when i read the pressure on it using the recharge kit, it reads around 25 PSI. and according to the kit, it says do not recharge if the pressure reads around that much. so i don't what to do. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This might just help. I doubt it's a simple do it yourself job.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5223

hey thanks for the link. have anyone done this repair before? or do anyone out there have this same problem, i think this is my problem.

i also noticed my compressor is making a rattling sound when the AC is on, something i never noticed before. anyone have any input on this?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demonicr
    i also noticed my compressor is making a rattling sound when the AC is on, something i never noticed before. anyone have any input on this?
    thanks
    From what it sounds your just low on refrigerent. also no A/C system is good enough, they always leak, being the reason for a recharge. Im guessing the pressure you read was on the low side? that pressure is a little low. anyways just do the recharge kit and let us know how it turns out.
    Almost forgot, whens the last time you changed your serp. belt...could just be worn out and causing that rattlying noise.
    Last edited by SicWRX37; 08-03-2005 at 10:01 PM.

I have never change the belt. the rattling sound i cannot hear from inside the car, only when im outside in front of the car. when i turn the AC on, i don't know if its the belt squeaking or if the compressor starts to spin, but its that light sqeaky sound for 5 seconds. the AC will blow cool air when the temp outside is cooler, but when it is hot, 90+ degrees the air is barely cool at all. this is the reason why im thinking its the thermostat as someone send the link above. but i guess i wanna make sure its that before i change it, i guess i can recharge it and see if that does anything. do anyone know how we can find for sure that its the thermostat problem?

With the belt problem i had the same issue. and yes it was only when the compressor engauges. If you think your thermo is bad pull it out and take a look, also do you notice your car running any hotter or cooler?

I believe that link I posted from ScoobyMods is a TSB. Besides a recall being done for free, Isn't this also a type of repair that the dealer does for free?

My dealer refused to fix my AC it kicks on and off all the time. He says this is normal and all Subarus do it. I had a probe in the vent and temp only changed a few degrees when it turns on and off.

I even showed him the TSB and he didn't think anything of it.

okay, so i went out to walmart and bought a recharge kit. and guess what... my AC is cold again. as i was charging the AC, the rattling sound from compressor starts to go away. so now every seems to work okay. do anyone know how many once of the freon stuff we supposed to use? my pressure reads about 30 PSI and after filling it with a 11 oz can, it only goes up to about 40 PSI. i know that we suppose to fill 45 PSI max, but my tank is that empty??? should i buy another can and fill it to 45 PSI, or should if be fine?

Quote Originally Posted by demonicr
    okay, so i went out to walmart and bought a recharge kit. and guess what... my AC is cold again. as i was charging the AC, the rattling sound from compressor starts to go away. so now every seems to work okay. do anyone know how many once of the freon stuff we supposed to use? my pressure reads about 30 PSI and after filling it with a 11 oz can, it only goes up to about 40 PSI. i know that we suppose to fill 45 PSI max, but my tank is that empty??? should i buy another can and fill it to 45 PSI, or should if be fine?
    When i did my recharge i only used one can thats all you should need.Also that pressure is fine.