how to close gap on ngk iridiums
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on how to close gap on ngk iridiums within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm planning to buy some 1 step colder ngk iridiums and I found out that the gap is somewhere around ...

how to close gap on ngk iridiums

I'm planning to buy some 1 step colder ngk iridiums and I found out that the gap is somewhere around .40. I read that the optimal gap should be between .28 and .30 so I need some closing up to do. I also read that the iridium tip is very fragile. So how should I go about closing the gap on the plugs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bump...need some advice please

i wouldn't buy the iridium, i think the copper works the best.

well...i already purchased iridiums and i need help with those.

I have these plugs. The tip itself is fragile, so don't hit it. The strap, however, is the same metal as always.. so I pushed it against a concrete wall until it bent to about where i wanted it, checked the gap, readjusted with wall if necessary, and installed.

You really don't want to narrow the gap. A wider gap will burn the fuel more efficiently. I can't remember the exact science at this moment, but the wider the gap the better as long as your coils can fire it. I always ran a .50-.55 gap in my cars but I always upgraded to a Accel Supercoil. I don't know much about the coils on a WRX, though, so I might just be blowing smoke where they are concerned.

I would stick with the manufacturers recommendation.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.