0w or 10w-30 for my new WRX?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 0w or 10w-30 for my new WRX? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well after researching this car for about a year I just went out and found an '02 with 26,000 miles ...

0w or 10w-30 for my new WRX?

Well after researching this car for about a year I just went out and found an '02 with 26,000 miles on it. I don't have all the paperwork complete on it yet so it is garaged waiting for me to go stand in line at the DMV - but I'm PSYCHED!

I've been searching the forum and trying to figure out what oil to use - seen some interesting answers and am scanning the oil 'bible'. I'm selling a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 82,000 on it - and have been using Amsoil 10W-30 at 7,500-9,000 oil changes. I also use Amsoil in my boat - and am very pleased. Not only do I run it hard but the analysis always comes back with a recommendation to continue using it.

I'd like to stick with the Amsoil but they don't offer a 5W-30 as the manual recommends - rather 0W and 10W. I live in NY so it does get cold in the winter. Up to 30 below where I am.

Which weight would you recommend and why - if not - what type of oil would you recommend? What would be the major difference with going 0W vs. 10W?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Without looking in my owner's manual, I would say 0W30 would be best. I have heard of people running it w/o problem.

The number prior to the W is for cold weather- better thin than too thick to move.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by MooseMan
    I'd like to stick with the Amsoil but they don't offer a 5W-30 as the manual recommends - rather 0W and 10W. I live in NY so it does get cold in the winter. Up to 30 below where I am.

Which weight would you recommend and why - if not - what type of oil would you recommend? What would be the major difference with going 0W vs. 10W?

Thanks!
    Mooseman,
    I sell and discount Amsoil and want to let you know that Amsoil does have 3 different formulas of 5w-30. The ASL, XLF, and my favorite HDD.

As far as the 0w vs 10w the 0w will be a better oil in the cold weather. It will allow faster oil flow at cold temps which I feel is important for turbo oil flow. Another advantage to the 0w-30 is you may see a slight increase in gas mileage as well. The 0w has a pour point of -65*F and the 10w has a pour point of -54*F.

Ask questions, I will answer.

Ken

Ken,

Why do you prefer the HDD? One thing I liked about Amsoil in my last car was the extended drain intervals. I went 9000 miles and did oil tests - came out fine. I would like to run 7500 in the WRX without an oil change - which oil do you recommend for that?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by o2man98
    Mooseman,
    I sell and discount Amsoil and want to let you know that Amsoil does have 3 different formulas of 5w-30. The ASL, XLF, and my favorite HDD.

As far as the 0w vs 10w the 0w will be a better oil in the cold weather. It will allow faster oil flow at cold temps which I feel is important for turbo oil flow. Another advantage to the 0w-30 is you may see a slight increase in gas mileage as well. The 0w has a pour point of -65*F and the 10w has a pour point of -54*F.

Ask questions, I will answer.

Ken

The HDD is a very large additive package which makes it a very stable oil. It has a large resistance to breakdown and oxidation.

If you want to go 7500 miles you could really use any Amsoil oil. Starting at the XLF which you can get for 3.95 qt or the HDD or TSO at 6.70 qt. The XLF will get you there and the others could get you further. This is a case of you get what you pay for. These prices are the dealer cost I can sell at.

Ken

Ken,

I'm going to try and catch you in an email re: placing an order.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.