First oil change philosophy
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on First oil change philosophy within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have 960 miles on my MY 2005 WRX. I've heard many philosophies on oil chanes. Some of these include ...

First oil change philosophy

I have 960 miles on my MY 2005 WRX. I've heard many philosophies on oil chanes. Some of these include (I've eliminated those not physically possible at this point, such as semi-synth at 300 miles)

Semi-synth from 1000/1500 - 3000, full-synth 3000 and on every 3000-5000 miles.

Full-synth at 1000 (may end up being 1500 or so for me), another change at 3K and then-on.

Full-synth at 3000 (keep factory in for a full 3K), then every 3K from then on.

I've searched many threads and I just can't come up with a clear, definitive answer. Knowing my luck there isn't one, but I want the safest bet. I'm pretty sure I know the parts I need, I'll check that later, I'd just like to know the consensus on this issue.

I e-mailed SOA just now. The service manual speaks only of a 3K first oil change, but I've heard differing opinions on this. The dealer, of course, told me 3K as well. I think I may just wait until 3K to complete the break-in process per factory instructions but maybe that's just my laziness talking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

full syn 1000, change again at 2000 and then 3000. and every 3000 after that.

Hmm. My service schedule doesn't actually say to change until 7500. There's a 3000 mile change listed. but it says it's for 3.0 liter engines only. (I'm assuming they put out the same schedule with all Subarus.)

jorg, first oil change according to the manual should be 3000, you wouldnt want to wait that long since there will be alot of tiny metal fragments from the breakin there and the oilwill be defeintly dirty.

I would say first oil change between 1k-2k, but I did mine at 3k like the manual said and its been fine 4k miles later. Not sure if its true or not, but switching to synthetic too early can pose some problems too right?
    Didnt someone make a thread about that saying they were getting worse gas mileage.

Thank you for visiting the Subaru web site. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Regarding the use of synthetic oil and oil changes. We would recommend that you use regular oil as outlined in the Owner's Manual and follow the recommended oil change schedule listed in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet until the car has approximately 10,000 miles to allow the engine to seat properly. After that you may use the synthetic oil however we would continue to recommend that you follow the same maintenance schedule laid out in the booklet.

I hope this is of assistance to you. Should you have any further questions of a technical nature you may wish to direct them to your local dealership who have trained technicians readily available. You may also feel free to contact us here at 1-800-SUBARU3.
    Regards,
    Wendy Clough
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

I recently purchased a new MY 2005 WRX. The vehicle currently has 960 miles on it. I have heard many differing thoughts on oil changes. I'm wondering what I do at this point. Some things I've heard:

Run semi-synth (blend) from 1500-3000 and run full synth at 3K on.

Continue to run factory 'til 3K, then synth from then on.

Run full synth at 1K, then change at 3K and each 3K thereafter.

Please let me know which is the best philosophy. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Quote Originally Posted by felo3769
    jorg, first oil change according to the manual should be 3000, you wouldnt want to wait that long since there will be alot of tiny metal fragments from the breakin there and the oilwill be defeintly dirty.
    Eh, it's what mine says. I'm planning on getting it changed soon anyway. I was surprised at the oil change schedule, but that's what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg
    Eh, it's what mine says. I'm planning on getting it changed soon anyway. I was surprised at the oil change schedule, but that's what it says.
    I'm going by the SOA response e-mail. There are additives in the factory oil, for one thing.

I just got my first oil change at 1900 miles. I plan on changing the oil about every 2000 miles, until 10000, when I will switch to full synthetic and then change every 3 to 4k. It might be excessive, but I just like to keep clean oil in my car. I know that it cant hurt the car to have fresh oil often.

thats weird....my dealer said if i wanted to switch to syn i should at 3k and i did...so i dont know
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Not to be too negative, but you can't really trust what the dealer says. You can probably trust the mechanics (most of the time), but the salespeople, for the most part, aren't really all that knowledgeable. They know enough about the cars to sell them, certainly more than Joe Consumer, but with few exceptions, they aren't really a great source for technical info. I bet you'd get pretty widely varying numbers (and a few blank looks) if you asked every salesperson at your local Subaru what the max boost produced by the WRX is.

it wasnt the salesman....it was the subaru service manager
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

They his advice is probably useful.

Honestly, there are so many different opinions on when you should switch to synthetic (and even whether you should), that I think you're safe to do pretty much whatever you want. I really don't think it matters much when you switch.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.