my wrx is making funny noises...can someone help explain???

This is a discussion on my wrx is making funny noises...can someone help explain??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK so I was running a stock intake with a BOV and my car sounded fine...I then install an AEM ...

Red face my wrx is making funny noises...can someone help explain???

OK so I was running a stock intake with a BOV and my car sounded fine...I then install an AEM Short ram intake it also sounded fine that is until I race my friends cousins type-R integra...I beat him also but after that my engine started to sound weird...It starts off fine like vrooom then then I release the gas it goes crshtcrshtcrsht pretty fast then the BOV valve finally goes off...about the crshtcrshtcrsht sound I was wondering if this was normal or is something messed up with my motor???...Ive asked around at racing shops and they said they didnt know what it was (of course they havent drove my car to hear the sound)...BTW I put my stock intake back in and it still sounds the same...I was sondering if anyone can help me out???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

check that your vaccum hoses are on tight. you might have a leak in the vaccum hose that signals the BOV to open...or it might be kinked and sending an intermittent signal.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Your BOV could be malfunctioning. Put your stocker back on and once again enjoy a smooth running, non-annoying car

but its still doing it with teh stock valve now...I think you may have kinked the BOV vaccum line when you were installing/removing. Or maybe pulled it too hard and disconnected it from the other end.

-edit

my mistake you're still running the aftermarket BOV.

could be that your BOV broke when you put it under full boost. put the stock valve back on because you could me making compressor surge. aftermarket atmospheric BOV's are not a good idea. I think every noob that joins ClubWRX starts with a CAI and BOV, and quickly realizes that they're nothing but trouble...and ends up selling them to another noob that hasn't had the pleasure of realizing this yet. Its a vicious cycle.
    Last edited by blarg; 07-27-2005 at 04:07 PM.
    go f*** yourself

i'm a newb w/ the wrx's, but what i'm just wonderin, the stock BOV would be fine in the long run also? when put more horses?

the stock BOV is good to aboutu 18 PSI. Over 18 PSI, your ECU cuts your fuel anyway so once you get into boosting that heavily, you're going to be making some other mods as well. Its better to push more air at lower pressures than just bump up the PSI anyway. So for the most part, unless you're going to make a 700 WHP drag monster running 30 PSI, you're fine with the stock BOV.

Also, there are aftermarket plumb-back BOVs. Basically they work like the stock valve, returning all your air to the intake, but built to handle more pressure. If you're going to need a BOV that handles more pressure, the plumb-back type would be the best way to go for performance and consistency. Of course you don't get the cool pshhhhht sound...but you just have to decide if you'd rather have bling or zing.
    Last edited by blarg; 07-31-2005 at 07:30 PM.
    go f*** yourself

dude, im running a perrin short ram intake and my stock BOV sounds just as good as most aftermarkets. u can really hear it go psssssshhh at high throttle shifting. i think u should ditch the cold air intake and run stock or use a perrin short ram. i have zero issues with the short ram even with my stage 2 utec.
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    So for the most part, unless you're going to make a 700 WHP drag monster running 30 PSI, you're fine with the stock BOV.
    ^ thats a bit of an over statement....but Blarg is correct 18psi is about it on the stock BPV...although you can modify it to hold more boost...I went ahead & upgrade to an APS Dual-Vent BPV....
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

Quote Originally Posted by IronMedic
    dude, im running a perrin short ram intake and my stock BOV sounds just as good as most aftermarkets. u can really hear it go psssssshhh at high throttle shifting. i think u should ditch the cold air intake and run stock or use a perrin short ram. i have zero issues with the short ram even with my stage 2 utec.
    I have teh stock intake stock BOV, a silencer delete elbow and a Cobb stage 2 and I can hear my BOV at high boost too...its not spectacular, and you can't hear it down the block or anything, but its louder. However, if your goal is to make noise, and not gain performance, you won't be happy with a recirtulating valve, its just not the same, yes, you can hear it, but its not NEARLY as noticable...and if you're starving for attention it just won't do.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by testes1010
    ^ thats a bit of an over statement....but Blarg is correct 18psi is about it on the stock BPV...although you can modify it to hold more boost...I went ahead & upgrade to an APS Dual-Vent BPV....
    OH!!!...that's right, I've seen a how-to somewhere to mod your stock BPV to hold more boost, but I wouldn't do it, at that point you've sunk so much money into your mods, that another $250 to have a KNOWN quantity, and a properly working valve just makes sense.
    go f*** yourself