time to change brakes on my sti, HELP! please
Results 1 to 15 of 15

This is a discussion on time to change brakes on my sti, HELP! please within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys its time to change the brake pads on my 05 sti, my question is what all do i ...

  1. #1
    Registered User WRXout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,709

    time to change brakes on my sti, HELP! please

    Hey guys its time to change the brake pads on my 05 sti, my question is what all do i need to change the brakes? maybe a website with a tutorial? thanks guys.
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User overwrxed24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Chino, Calif.
    Posts
    1,213
    Did ya try scoobymods.com? They usually have a lot of info.
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    every time anyone asks to drive my car - even valets I say "no". when they say "what's the big deal?" I say "would you let someone wear your underwear? would you let someone have sex with your girlfriend? ....same thing."

  4. #3
    Registered User tarbaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    505
    A tool to press pistons back into caliper (I use a C-Clamp myself)

    The proper sized wrenches to unbolt the Calipers

    A Jack and jackstands to lift and hold car up

    Your Lugwrench to remove the wheels (obvious )

    Wire Hanger or similar to hang caliper on (don't let it hand by brake line)

    I suggest you also get speedbleeders and brake fluid and change out your fluid (if you have not done so yet) after the pads have been changed.


    Here's a tutorial for a WRX Changing brake pads on WRX

  5. #4
    tan
    tan is offline
    Thinking Man's Engine tan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wharton, NJ
    Posts
    3,014
    the Brembos up front need to be completely disassembled to reset all 4 pistons.

    There is a tool out there (harder to find) that will do it without disassembling the front Brembos.

    Check your rotors for wear...replacement rotors for the STI are not cheap either.

  6. #5
    Registered User tarbaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by tan

    Check your rotors for wear...replacement rotors for the STI are not cheap either.

    You mean the dinner plates.

  7. #6
    tan
    tan is offline
    Thinking Man's Engine tan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wharton, NJ
    Posts
    3,014

  8. #7
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,244
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tan
    the Brembos up front need to be completely disassembled to reset all 4 pistons.

    There is a tool out there (harder to find) that will do it without disassembling the front Brembos.

    Check your rotors for wear...replacement rotors for the STI are not cheap either.
    Actually, no unusual tools are needed. The front and rear pads both can be removed as a simple cartridge with the loostening (or removal) of a single bolt followed by the clips and a pin. No need to remove the calipers at all. These are true racing brembos and are designed to be quickly changed. I can probably do it in about 10 mins for each tire, including removing the tire.

    As for compressing the piston(s), just wedge the old pad in between the piston face and the caliper and then lever it back in. Works like a charm.

    You'll need a:
    Lug Wrench
    Metric socket set for the caliper bolt
    A slim punch or tiny screwdriver to punch out and then feed back in the retaining clip swing pin
    Brake cleaner
    Steady hands to slide the new pads along with the pad clip, backing plates, and clip pin in.

    That should cover it. I may be wrong about the number of bolts (can't remember for sure, but I know for sure that you do not have to take the caliper off. I took some snaps a while ago but don't have my digicam with me to post pics up.

    After the new pads are installed, don't forget to bed them. I've done this a number of times so what works for me is
    0-60 then medium pressure on brakes
    0-60 then firm pressure on brakes
    0-60 then slam the brakes on as hard as you can

    Between applications, try to use the brakes as little as possible. I actually repeat the 3rd step a few times just to be sure everything is well planted and the surface is now bedded in well with the backing and the rotor.

    Here is a so-so link for changing disc brake pads. Ignore the grease part in the middle and the rest looks ok. You can remove the calipers to do this if you want, but it is not necessary.

    http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...7/article.html

    There is probably a tutorial on this somewhere (ClubWRX, Nasioc, Scoobymods, etc.) but I'm sure you can google just like the rest of us.

    Good luck!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  9. #8
    Registered User WRXout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,709
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Actually, no unusual tools are needed. The front and rear pads both can be removed as a simple cartridge with the loostening (or removal) of a single bolt followed by the clips and a pin. No need to remove the calipers at all. These are true racing brembos and are designed to be quickly changed. I can probably do it in about 10 mins for each tire, including removing the tire.

    As for compressing the piston(s), just wedge the old pad in between the piston face and the caliper and then lever it back in. Works like a charm.

    You'll need a:
    Lug Wrench
    Metric socket set for the caliper bolt
    A slim punch or tiny screwdriver to punch out and then feed back in the retaining clip swing pin
    Brake cleaner
    Steady hands to slide the new pads along with the pad clip, backing plates, and clip pin in.

    That should cover it. I may be wrong about the number of bolts (can't remember for sure, but I know for sure that you do not have to take the caliper off. I took some snaps a while ago but don't have my digicam with me to post pics up.

    After the new pads are installed, don't forget to bed them. I've done this a number of times so what works for me is
    0-60 then medium pressure on brakes
    0-60 then firm pressure on brakes
    0-60 then slam the brakes on as hard as you can

    Between applications, try to use the brakes as little as possible. I actually repeat the 3rd step a few times just to be sure everything is well planted and the surface is now bedded in well with the backing and the rotor.

    Here is a so-so link for changing disc brake pads. Ignore the grease part in the middle and the rest looks ok. You can remove the calipers to do this if you want, but it is not necessary.

    http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...7/article.html

    There is probably a tutorial on this somewhere (ClubWRX, Nasioc, Scoobymods, etc.) but I'm sure you can google just like the rest of us.

    Good luck!
    BAD ASSS THANKS DUDE, your always of good help....
    and thank you to the rest of yall i appreciate it, you all helped me.... i changed them all went well now i gotta change my oil and put some performance stuff before my surgery, ill be out fora month. ill be doing online schooling :/
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

  10. #9
    Registered User pigSTI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    39

    Keepe

    Just so I have it in writing. my memory can be fuzzy at times.
    First Mod: Flux Capacitor
    Second Mod: 88 MPH Governor

  11. #10
    Registered User scooby-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    State of depression
    Posts
    1,058
    you take off the wheels, unbolt the caliper, take out the pads, use c clamps to smash back in pistons, put new pads in just like the old ones, re bolt calipers, put wheels back on.... yeah I think that about covers it.
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

    All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

    Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    220
    you guys know it's bad to just put in new pads without resurfacing the rotors, right?

  13. #12
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,244
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosStarter
    you guys know it's bad to just put in new pads without resurfacing the rotors, right?
    you guys know it's bad to spread incorrect information, right?

    Sorry...couldn't resist. There is absolutely no need to resurface the rotors when changing pads. Someone sold you a line.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  14. #13
    Registered User AKESREX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    116
    Naw, they just want your money for machining them
    Have them turned if you've got serious grooves or if pad material
    was transferred to the rotor unevenly (pedal pulsation) and you're
    not going to scrub the rotor with garnet paper to remove the material.

    Akebono Brake Corporation
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Tokyo Japan

  15. #14
    Registered User Kush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    1,369
    wearable items are not covered under warrantee. The only reason I could think of your rotors needing to be turned already at 23,000 miles is that the pads were worn down to the metal rivets and chewed up the rotors. Other than that I suppose high heat loads could cause some damage, but that's more of a warping that can't really be fixed by turning the rotors (on a brake lathe)
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

    DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

  16. #15
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,244
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pwildermuth
    I need help also. I just replaced brake pads but was told my rotors needed a job that could only be done by Subaru service or I would void my warranty (some sort of lathe issue) and the warranty doesn't cover the rotor job, even though I have only 23, 000 miles on the car. Anyone out there know anything about this?


    Thanks!
    Do you get juddering when using the brakes? Have you looked at the rotors to see if they are grooved or have excessive mateiral build up? Juddering can be causded by warped rotors, but in this day, warping a rotor is fairly difficult. Excessive material can often be burned/scraped off by doing full force stops from around 60 mph or so.

    Have you washed the car recently when the rotors were hot from using the brakes? This can sometimes cause warping. Just get more then one opinion, as it is my opinion the a lot of places say you need to turn the rotors just to get more money out of you. To the best of my knowledge, STi rotors are incredibly stout and rarely require resurfacing or turning. The only realy issue I could see is as stated above...if you groved them from letting the brake pads wear down to the calipers...but you would know this from the horrible grinding noise you would get.

    If you haven't experienced any of the above issues, then just tell them to put the pads on and be done with it. Or better yet, take an hour and do it yourself...it's a good thing to learn.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •