Can anyone recommend a good torque wrench?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can anyone recommend a good torque wrench? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need to get a torque wrench, but I've never owned one (I always borrowed my dad's). Now that I ...

Question Can anyone recommend a good torque wrench?

I need to get a torque wrench, but I've never owned one (I always borrowed my dad's). Now that I live several hundred miles away from my parents, I figure it's time to get my own.

My dad had two: one measured in lbs./in. and one in Nm. I recall having to use them both on several occasions, so I'd like to get a wrench with both measurements on it (if they make them). Can anyone recommend a good one and/or a good place to buy it? I know that I can go to Sears, etc., but before I do that, I'd just like to see if anyone has had any problems with certain brands.

Thanks!
    -Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Ive got a craftsman, had it for 2 years with no problems. If you go with a bigger name like Mac Tools, or Snap-On you cant go wrong (but will cost you much more).
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

Go to Home Depot. They are superior to Craftsman in service. Fockers at Sears give me crap when I want to get stuff fixed under "lifetime warranty"!

Quote Originally Posted by tarbaj
    Go to Home Depot. They are superior to Craftsman in service. Fockers at Sears give me crap when I want to get stuff fixed under "lifetime warranty"!
    Really? Ive gone to sears with some of my pops old wrenches and screw drivers that have taken beatings and they have no problem taking them and giving me brand new ones, free of charge.
    Uncle Lewie

Snap-on are great, but expensive. Back in highschool the shop had 2 snap-on torque wrenches and both worked fine under the hands of hundreds of careless teenagers over the course of 4 years I was there.

I guess if you do professional work go with Snap-on. Craftman's is probably better bang for the bucks.
    Last edited by trippy; 07-21-2005 at 12:07 AM.

I got a cheap Wilmar's 3/8" wrench from Amazon (19.99) and a larger 1/2" drive from WalMart for 19.99. OK, they are cheap and may not last very long but I started looking at how much I REALLY use them and it just wasnt worth spending $100/a piece for me. They work great for what I needed them to do.

I use them for occasional service intervals like the 30k mile service, oil changes, trailer maintenance etc...not very much need.

tan
    I have 2 Sears click types. One 3/8" drive and one 1/2" drive. But them when they were on sale 7 years ago

SMR
    Go with the Snap-on. Last torque wrench you'll ever buy. Remember, you get what you pay for.
    Wow, just wow

I Support ClubWRX
    You do, but snap-on is overkill for most home mechanics.

I'd recommend getting a good beam-type small one (3/8" drive) for accuracy. The beam-type never goes out of adjustment and a good one from sears is only like $30.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...te=CRAFT&cs=e1

Then get yourself a (relatively) cheap 1/2" drive click-type for the bigger jobs where accuracy is less important. Click is good for those big jobs because sometimes it's hard to stand on the wrench and read it at the same time!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I agree with Gv27, most professional mechanics buy snap-on and mac tools because they know they will last forever and also because their more comfortable to work with.
    My dad has a huge box full of snap on tools for bout the last 15 yrs. I could never imagine spending that much on a torque wrench, buy a craftsman and you prolly wont regret it.
    Uncle Lewie

I've got a Craftsman about 2 years ago. Still works good and it was on sale, so it was perfict.

Remember that click-style torque wrenches can, in as little as a year, end up out of adjustment. Recalibrating them costs almost as much as a new one. That's why Sears doesn't offer a lifetime warranty on them - instead 90 days to 1 year depending on model.

The beam-style ones are very accurate and usually don't lose their accuracy over time. But, they don't work well in tight spaces (pretty much the entire engine bay) and you have to watch the reading as your tightening.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Schu
    Remember that click-style torque wrenches can, in as little as a year, end up out of adjustment. Recalibrating them costs almost as much as a new one. That's why Sears doesn't offer a lifetime warranty on them - instead 90 days to 1 year depending on model.

The beam-style ones are very accurate and usually don't lose their accuracy over time. But, they don't work well in tight spaces (pretty much the entire engine bay) and you have to watch the reading as your tightening.
    In as little as a year? The documentation that comes with them says 4000 (I think - working from memory) clicks. They also don't like being dropped or otherwise abused.

4000 clicks in a controlled environment.

And who hasn't dropped tools?

My craftsman torque wrench lasted about 5 years before I noticed it was way off. Who knows how long it had been inaccurate. Could you really tell if it was off by 10 ft-lbs?

My point is, don't spend a ton of money on it expecting it to have a lifetime of accuracy. Get a name brand, entry-level click-style.
    Last edited by Rick Schu; 07-25-2005 at 02:05 PM.

Also with the click-style you have to return the setting back to its lowest setting after use or it can become inaccurate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.