Does motor oil go "bad"?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Does motor oil go "bad"? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I get the 5-qt Mobil 1 synthetic stuff from Wallyworld to do my oil changes, and leave just ...

Does motor oil go "bad"?

Hey guys,
    I get the 5-qt Mobil 1 synthetic stuff from Wallyworld to do my oil changes, and leave just about half a quart each time when it's all done. After 3 or 4 times, I've accumulated quite a bit of never used oil. The problem is, parts of it (I pour the leftovers into the same container) may be 6~9 months old.

Is this oil still safe to use? It'd seem like such a waste just pouring it out, it's like $5 a quart!

I was thinking about using up the old stuff for my next oil change. What do you think?
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It should be fine as long as it has been sealed.
    Andrew

Never quit. Never do the expected. Never follow.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/wrxrolla

The oil all sits in one container capped, but the seal was broken when I open the original container for the oil change.
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

Oil doesn't get old and go bad unless it's been run through an engine. Ifunsealing it was a problem they better stop shipping oil in plastic containers. Many things can seep through plastic at a microscopic level.

The oil is fine. Use it when you ahve enough leftover for a full change.

It should be fine. As I understand it, oil actually can go bad, but it takes several years. I've read that the shelf life is about three years for oils designed for passenger cars.

If you're worried about it, I'd suggest that from now on you use the old oil first, and then finish filling with the new. That way you're only holding oil from one change, instead of saving until you have a full bottle of "left-overs".

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.