Oil Filter?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil Filter? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; how in the hell do you remove the filter without oil seeping and then going all over the place. holy ...

Red face Oil Filter?

how in the hell do you remove the filter without oil seeping and then going all over the place. holy crap, everytime . . . does anyone have any techniques that would help me? it would be greatly appreciated by me and the enviornment.
    Peace
    EDS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A big pan.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

A big drain pan and a work area that's not under attack by gale force venturi-accelerated ocean breezes... (don't ask )
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

I Support ClubWRX
    Allow the oil to drain for like 5 minutes. And also, take off the oil filler cap in the engine compartment. That way it will relieve pressure from the motor to the oil filter. This will also allow you to unscrew the oil filter easier. I used to have this problem but used the procedure above and no problems with oil getting everywhere anymore. And like the others say. If this doesn't work, use A BIG PAN.

And buy a fumotovalve. It makes oil changes 100% easier.

http://www.fumotovalve.com

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    didn't seem that big of a problem to me.. I allowed all of the oil to drain first like Kurlee said.

Kurlee, You have one of those futomoto valves? Any issues whatsoever? Cause that really seems to be too good to be true!
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

As previously stated, allow the oil to completely drain from the pan. Put the plug back in and move your drain pan over to the filter. Using a pointy object, poke a hole in the bottom (or top, depending on your perspective) of the oil filter. This will allow the oil to drain before you start un-screwing it.

Also, remove the under-shield from the car before changing the oil. Makes for much less mess.

Peace,

Curtis

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by campbell
    Kurlee, You have one of those futomoto valves? Any issues whatsoever? Cause that really seems to be too good to be true!
    No issues whatsoever on my WRX. Just make sure the threads that are on your oil pan are in good condition.

My girlfriend has a 91' Honda Civic and the threads on the oil pan were in POOR condition and didn't allow the fumotovalve to thread and tighten completely. So being Mr. Muscle, I tried to MAKE IT SEAL and stripped the threads on the fumotovalve. And since the fumotovalve is made out of brass, and is a softer metal than steel, the fumotovalve and its threads are garbage.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

hey guys thanks for the info. i DO drain all of the oil from the pan first, and then remove the filter. but, in my old toyota corolla the filter was located longitudinally, so i wouldn't have any oil that would seep out during cold oil replacement. in the subaru, as we all know, the filter is oriented vertically. even during cold oil changes, the oil spills out when you loosen the filter, even if you drain the pan first; because the lubricant has already settled into the bottom of filter. i assume that i should release the filter about half way, let it drain, then completely remove the filter; it just seems a bit messy to do it that way.
    Last edited by extraducksauce; 10-15-2002 at 12:24 PM.
    Peace
    EDS

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.