Compressor and air tools, lubricant / grease Q
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Compressor and air tools, lubricant / grease Q within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hope this is in the right forum. Anyway, here goes. I got a 15lb 3hp compressor, 3/8 in air ...

Compressor and air tools, lubricant / grease Q

I hope this is in the right forum. Anyway, here goes.

I got a 15lb 3hp compressor, 3/8 in air ratchet, 1/2 in Ingersoll-Rand 231c impact wrench, and a 50 ft air line. New tools!

Now the IR impact wrench has a grease fitting and the manual says it should be greased every 45hrs of use. Even though greasing will not be needed for quite some time I would I would like to know what grease to use and what fitting I need to inject the grease. I have never had a grease gun and further more the IR manual does not say what kind of grease to use. Also, IR recommends an air line lubricator which I dont have, but I think a drop or two of air tool lubricant in the air inlet of the gun before each use should keep me covered.

What kind of air tool lubricant and grease do you guys recommend?

Here are a few shots of the new toys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IR.jpg   IR2.jpg   Tank.jpg   3:8.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ian
    By the looks of your pics the grease goes in the back where that little hole is on the impact gun, but you should be fine with just a couple drops of air tool oil every now and then. You should be able to get that at a Napa or somwthing like that near you

Sweet! I use a few drops of Campbell Hausfeld Tool Oil which you can get at WalMart for $1.44/bottle. I just add a few drops to the port after using the impact wrench to rotate my tires. Mine is a Campbell Hausfeld and it recommends a few drops after every use...in fact it mentions that you can never add to much lube to the impact wrench but then again it's not an IR!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you tighten your lugs with that impact and compressor, check them by hand before you drive. That compressor won't supply enough CFM to run the impact at its rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    If you tighten your lugs with that impact and compressor, check them by hand before you drive. That compressor won't supply enough CFM to run the impact at its rating.
    Definitely. I always use the old torque wrench before I let the wife go for a test drive in it
    My impact wrench has 3 settings and if I keep it on the lowest setting it is just enough so that my torque wrench onyl has to go about 1/5 of a turn before it clicks.

The IR impact wrench has 5 settings and working torque of 25- 300 ft.-lbs. After using the IR impact wrench to secure the lugs I used my torque wrench to insure proper torque. I found that on the 2nd setting the lugs were torqued at over 90ft-lbs. Before when using manual wrenches I would torque the lugs to 76ft-lbs. Is 90ft-lbs too much torque for the lugs?

Also, I don't know much about CFM so I could use alittle more info about it. Compressor stats (SCFM @ 40 psig = 4.9, SCFM @ 90 psig =3.5) IR Impact wrench Stats (Average air consumption: 4.2 cfm, 22 cfm @ load). So what does this mean in english? heh

When torquing the lugs I make sure the compressor is not running. I usually run outlet pressure at 80 - 85psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    What I was trying to say is that compressor will run out of breath quickly, and have trouble keeping up with air tools.

Ok, I think I understand now. So if I wait till the tank is full and torque the lugs when the compressor is not running the tool should have proper power?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie03
    Ok, I think I understand now. So if I wait till the tank is full and torque the lugs when the compressor is not running the tool should have proper power?
    Exactly. That compressor won't keep up with constant air tool usage. If you went around the car and tightened 20 lugs in a row, by the last wheel the tank would probably be close to empty. Being a low HP single stage unit, I doubt it would be able to fill the tank faster than you could use it.

Thanks Trainrex!

Now does anyone know what kind of grease and what kind of grease gun I need to grease the IR impact wrench?

Also, my cobb sway bar monts have a zerk fitting for greasing as well, would I be able to use the same grease for both the gun and the swaybar bushings?

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks Trainrex!

Now does anyone know what kind of grease and what kind of grease gun I need to grease the IR impact wrench?

Also, my cobb sway bar monts have a zerk fitting for greasing as well, would I be able to use the same grease for both the gun and the swaybar bushings?
    I've never actually had an impact with a grease zerk before. My IR2131 doesn't have it either. I usually just put in a few drops of air tool oil here and there. I've been doing that for years, and I still have my first impact 12 years later in working condition.

I'm glad to hear your IR is very reliable, after all thats why I chose IR!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm glad to hear your IR is very reliable, after all thats why I chose IR!
    It's hard to beat IR stuff for reliability. I just picked up a new IR compressor around Christmas time. My 81 year old Brunner antique compressor finally died. I was thinking about holding a service for it

Arrr, a 21 gun salute

I Support ClubWRX
    Arrr, a 21 gun salute
    Pretty much Being the pack rat that I am, it's in my basement holding up boxes as we speak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast