Tranny/Differential Fluid- What's Wrong With Stock?

This is a discussion on Tranny/Differential Fluid- What's Wrong With Stock? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK, I am about to hit 30k miles and want to swap out my tarnny/diff fluid. I thought about going ...

Tranny/Differential Fluid- What's Wrong With Stock?

OK, I am about to hit 30k miles and want to swap out my tarnny/diff fluid. I thought about going synthetic and have spent endless hours this afternoon resarching threads on this board as well as WRXfanatics, COBB, NABISCO and ScoobyMods. There seems to be no clear consesnsus on what to use and the number of different combos is mind boggling.

I have 29k miles, drive fast on the interstate and have no grinding or shifting difficultioes. I am 100% stock, occasionally do hard 2-3 shifts or punch it in 3rd but don't launch or drag race...if anything I slip the clutch too much when starting off.

So, that said, is it wise to go to synthetic given that there are so many options out there that some people have had great luck with an dothers hated when stock seems to be doing fine for me? I mean I can swing by the dealer and pick some up and save a lot over Redline Synthetic.

I like the MT90 but it is a GL-4 and you never know with the Subaru warranty issue.
    Redline 75W90NS seems to be used a lot but I have seen many threads where people said it was great for 4-5k miles and then started to get sloppy.
    Mobil1 seems to be too slick and gets more than it's fair share of bad press.
    NEO Synthetic is probably the only one that I havent seen a lot of bad press on but seems expensive at $50/gal.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Would I be better served to just keep the old dino oil i there and save some bucks since I really dont seem to be experiencing any issues?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WHOA! Sorry about the triple post! I kept getting a timed out screen and nothing was showing up. My bad!
    Last edited by VOLFAN; 07-16-2005 at 05:57 PM.

I switched to Redline 75w90ns with a quart of shockproof lightweight, honestly I can't tell the difference from stock. Wish I wouldve just left it until 30k (have 16k on car now)
    Andrew

Never quit. Never do the expected. Never follow.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/wrxrolla

I say keep using the proven formula. I've been using the dino valvoline tranny fluid that subaru uses and my tranny has no issues at all. I personally don't want to go out of my way to experiment with different products when the stock stuff works fine.