HELP, car won't start
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HELP, car won't start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My wife has been driving my car for the past few weeks. I'm not blaming her I'm just saying that ...

HELP, car won't start

My wife has been driving my car for the past few weeks. I'm not blaming her I'm just saying that up front because I can't tell you "how" the car was driving prior to it not starting. She said a week ago that the car was getting hard to start. She said it was reluctant to start on the first try but would fire up on the 2nd. Yesterday she called me and said she couldn't get the car to start. It turns over fine, tries to start sometimes but never fires up. I thought it might be the fuel filter so I replaced it and still have the same problem. It has half a tank of gas. Checked the battery and cleaned the posts, no change. I pulled the ECU cover and all the connections are solid. Visually inspected the fuses, all seem to be fine. I thought maybe it could maybe be the plugs or fuel pump. I can't hear the fuel pump, but never remember hearing it in the past either. Haven't checked the plugs yet, have Denso Iridium, 1 heat range colder, could they foul from my wife putting around for a few weeks? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by LEXWRX; 07-16-2005 at 02:11 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Black WRX, Custom Short Throw Shifter, BLITZ Turbo Timer, DENSO Iridium plugs, GODSPEED Upipe, GFB Pullies, APS TMI, SAMCO hoses, AccessECU Stage 2, M2/ AROSPEED catless turboback, BORLA Header, K&N Fliter, TANABE springs, Subzero 18s, Yoko Parada Spec IIs, STI engine, trans & dog-bone mt, $1.50 vacuum mod

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had the same problem.... but mine starts and then dies its like it looses rpms right when i start it and then it dies, well I called a friend with a rex and he said check hoses it might be or have a good chance for a vaccum leak to be there so I did but didnt find anything all of a sudden it started and hella exhaust smoke was coming out so I wasited for 15 minutes and let it breathe and then now it runs fine It might be ur MAF censor ???? check it out fill me in when u find out aiight thx

How many miles are on it? I think there is something that is pretty common with the stock fuel rails leaking. I think thats what mine does. Every so often it takes the engine at least 5 seconds of turning over or the second try to start. Do you ever smell fuel? That may be the case. Also maybe a dumb question but are you sure you hooked the FF back right. It may be a combo of both. 1. Faulty FF 2. Lines reversed. Its just a thought.

I'll doyble check the FF but I'm 99.9% sure it's right. I'm not getting ANY fuel past the FF at all. Does anybody know how to bypass the fuel pump relay?
    Black WRX, Custom Short Throw Shifter, BLITZ Turbo Timer, DENSO Iridium plugs, GODSPEED Upipe, GFB Pullies, APS TMI, SAMCO hoses, AccessECU Stage 2, M2/ AROSPEED catless turboback, BORLA Header, K&N Fliter, TANABE springs, Subzero 18s, Yoko Parada Spec IIs, STI engine, trans & dog-bone mt, $1.50 vacuum mod

did you check the water levels in your battery? i had the same exact problem a few months ago, car wouldnt start or start reluctantly then just die.. i never check the water levels, and when i took the battery out to buy a new 1 i noticed that the water levels in every chamber were extremely low, like only half way full... fulled it up with distilled water, charged the battery and good to go now, its been about 3 months now and no relapses
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

I jave 31K miles on it. Juast double checked the filter and it's correct. No fuel prior to the filter either. Need help with the fuses and relays. I've checked the covers and don't see any reference to the fuel pump. I know where the relay is by the PS kickpanel but I don't know how to bypass. Can anyone help me with the elec stuff?

I'll check the battery, it's about 6 months old. That couldn't cause the fuel pump not to pump fuel though, could it?

water levels are good and posts are clean and tight. Has plenty of charge on the battery and doesn't fix the problem with the charger, still no fuel.

fuel relay are bad???

Do you know how to check or bypass to see if that's it or not?

Wow. I dont really know how to help but I am interested to see the outcome. Oh and you would have to know that if the car is turning over its obviously not the battery. So that can at least be counted out.

Hi
    If when you turn the ignition on and you are hearing the fuel being primed, but when you try to start the car it just turns over and over and doesn't catch, you might have a knackered crankshaft angle sensor. I had this problem a few months ago, put the new sensor in and has started first time - every time since.
    Until you get a new sensor, try just taking your old one out and giving it a wipe, and putting it back in, sometimes the car will then start after you do.

If you are not getting fuel, have your wife switch the ignition on while you listen under the rear of the car. You can even hear it priming from inside the car, so long as you turn the ignition on and don't start cranking.

If you're not getting fuel from the pump, and cannot hear the pump, remove your fuse box cover, check the relays for the fuel. Swap them around. See if anything changes. If nothing does, you probably have a bad pump.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.