Brake Rotor Life??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Brake Rotor Life?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was curious to how long the stock brake rotors last before they need turned or replaced. Now I know ...

Question Brake Rotor Life??

I was curious to how long the stock brake rotors last before they need turned or replaced. Now I know alot has to do with the way you drive, but my rotors pulse whenever I get on my brakes hard. I only have 24,000 miles on my car. Could I have warped them? I do drive hard sometimes and have had the 130mph to 65mph instant slowdown , aka state police sitting in the middle of the highway. I am just curious to hear from other WRX owners and see if thye have the same problem. Thanks.
    Tough times never last....Tough people do!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mine have been warped since 5,000 miles. I've heard that a lot of people have problems with the stockers warping though.
    -Lee

Just got mine turned today at the dealer. They went a whopping 500 miles before they started pulsating.

tan
    you have to keep in mind, the wear limits of the rotors. It's not that much. Only about 3mm total!!! (1.5mm per side).

Turning your rotors and reusing them is bad because it guarantees the rotors will warp again.

No warping problems here after 30k miles of hard street and occasional track driving. Just lucky I guess.

However, they are now worn down enough to warrant new rotors.

Side note: My Durango warped after just one panic stop on the freeway. Hard to believe that in the day of multiple airbags, crumple zones, etc., they STILL don't put brakes strong enough to take a few stupid stops! They should have minimum requirements for all brakes!
    Dino
    - '03 WRX sedan - SOLD (Jan 07)
    - '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Stock)
    - '05 Volvo S60R - stock (Stock)

im almost 60k on the stock rotors and they dont seem warped, but they are kinda chewed up and will be up for replacement whenever i need new pads... just get better rotors and problem solved
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

60k?!

I thought me going 35k before needing new rotors and pads was a lot.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

well 35 k is good.. just inexplicably.. my car is gifted lol
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Since we are talking about rotors...

What kind of breaks should I get? The Stock OEM or the Green stuff or something else?

If I get something stronger like the green stuff, will it wear out my rotors faster???
    So should I stick to OEM for break pads??
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

what the ? is warping and pulsating. Is that when you brake and the car starts to jump up and down? Or is that when you brake and you hear noise pulsating like your heart??
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

i had 51k on mine before i killed the front rotors and pads, but rears were great. but i upgraded to stoptech stage 2

i used ebc green pads about 8k miles ago, they are great, but they do diminish the life of the stock rotorsa slight bit...but then again almost all pads are going to do that, but yah the green pads are good
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather

mine have about 32k on them and they need to be replaced. I'm thinkin about new slotted ones.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

it's cheaper these days to just buy new rotors rather than turn them. if the rotor warped, turning it is a bandaid that will only last so long. whatever condition warped them i nthe first place is likely to occur again, and further warp them.

get some nice aftermarket stoptech slotted rotors. they're reasonably priced, cool down much faster, save your pads from glazing more, don't warp (mind didn't) and will last longer overall (mine went 40K and still had meat left.)

dR

Quote Originally Posted by MengHang
    what the ? is warping and pulsating. Is that when you brake and the car starts to jump up and down? Or is that when you brake and you hear noise pulsating like your heart??
    Warping is usually caused by the brake rotor getting hot and then suddenly cooling off (driving through a deep puddle, etc). The surface of the rotor will actually warp, hence the term "warping." Since the surface of the rotor is no longer perfectly flat, when you step on the brakes, the car won't come to a smooth stop. Instead, it will "pulsate" to a stop. It's the same feeling as when you try to stop on a bicycle that has a wheel that's a little bit out of shape.
    -Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast