02-03 steering wheel cleaning options?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02-03 steering wheel cleaning options? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My steering wheel has become very sticky in the last couple of months. It must have been me coming in ...

02-03 steering wheel cleaning options?

My steering wheel has become very sticky in the last couple of months. It must have been me coming in after oil changes or various dirt/grime. Whatever the buildup may be, i've been having troubles getting it off. I've tried simple green and various citrious based cleaners. I think i need something stronger- has anyone found anything that works really well?

thanks-
    jared

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well first those products will destroy your steering wheel's finish since it's leather. You should get some leather cleaner. Meguir's, Armor All, Turtle Wax etc. all make it.

Those degreasers will dry out the leather and cause it to crack and such.

If the leather cleaners don't clean it up then use hot soapy water on a clean towel and dry it immediately. Then put some leather conditioner (same companies as above make this too) on it to try remoisturize it after the harsh stuff you used on it already.

That stickiness may the resiidue left by the cleaners you've already used. Does the wheel seem clean, but just sticky now, or is it still dirty and sticky? Windex, Fantastic and the like will only make it worse so stay away from those. I would but a TINY bit of DL Hand cleaner on a rag and clean the whole wheel very deliberately taking care not to get the DL in any crevices, then follow it with a generous cleaning with Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer.

Quote Originally Posted by WRCfan
    That stickiness may the resiidue left by the cleaners you've already used. Does the wheel seem clean, but just sticky now, or is it still dirty and sticky? Windex, Fantastic and the like will only make it worse so stay away from those. I would but a TINY bit of DL Hand cleaner on a rag and clean the whole wheel very deliberately taking care not to get the DL in any crevices, then follow it with a generous cleaning with Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer.
    First, thanks for the advice guys. Last night i used some of the lexal leather cleaner and then followed it up with a leather conditioner. It feels a bit better, but still like its sticky in the areas i hold it most.

Does the DL stand for anything? And where can you pick that up.. also about the mequires quick int. detailer, is it for leather or is it just called QID? thanks!

jared

DL is the jiggly hand cleaner stuff in the blue and white container. It's made by permatex, and most people call it D&L. You can get it literally anywhere. Autozone, Walmart etc. The Meg's Quick Interior Detailer comes in a black bottle and is for cleaning any interior surfaces without leaving the slimy, or greasy residue, and just leaves a new look.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.