WRX Reliability? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX Reliability? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I wanted to mod the car before I knew anything about it really.. And I don't see how my warranty ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I wanted to mod the car before I knew anything about it really..

And I don't see how my warranty would be voided from a UTEC, other than me going to the dealer with it in and being like, "look! I've changed the factory ECU, see? here, it's right here, UTEC, Turbo XS.. cool huh?" Obviously I would remove it before servicing, and unless they can hook it up and it throws a code saying the ECU has been messed with, they wouldn't ever know it was in there. Please tell me if I'm wrong here..

Starting off I wasn't really that concerned with my warranty, but now I'm starting to wonder.. Why am I going to need it so bad in the next 50,000 miles? Do they really have to be taken in to get stuff fixed so much?? I was hoping that in buying a newer car I would have a longer period of time before parts began to fail..

My first car was an 85 Ford F-150 5.0L(tragically wrecked).. had 250,000+ miles on it and never a problem, still the same power it had when it was new, AT never slipped, nothing.. have the automotive standards in manufacturing and design for prolonged use declined that much in the last 15 years??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL. You must have gotten that "magic" truck that rolled off the line just perfect. I'm not gonna even touch that one - the average Subaru is several times the reliability of the average Fix Or Repair Daily.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27
    LOL. You must have gotten that "magic" truck that rolled off the line just perfect. I'm not gonna even touch that one - the average Subaru is several times the reliability of the average Fix Or Repair Daily.
    Actually I would say that the OLDER FORD trucks are pretty good quality as were MOST of the domestic automobiles in general. I think most newer domestic automobiles have declined in quality overall (I kind of believe that it is related to the amount of computer control in the newer automobiles). Thoughts, Opinions?
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

I Support ClubWRX
    The late 70's early 80's were a real low point for American manufacturers. Late 60's were good, and today's are pretty good as well - they just don't look so great next to the Japanese and Germans that make incredibly reliable cars today.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I think we're comparing apples and oranges here. Not only in the automobiles we are comparing, but also in the driving styles.

Comparing a truck to a sedan does not sound right. Trucks are probably more simpler...I had a '94 Ford Ranger for 8 years...I didn't know jack about engines or transmission, but after looking under the hood for a few minutes...all i needed was some physics course to figure that truck out. Now, looking under the hood of the WRX...C'mon, I couldn't tell Jack! So many wires, hoses, and and do hickys! (heheh).

The other thing we're comparing here is driving style. How many hard launches was that FOrd subject to?...and I doubt on it's best day, you could call it a hard launch (unless it's a lightening...then all bets are off). Hard launches and crazy-azz twisties will be what that warranty will be handy for.

Driven reasonably, the WRX will probably last just as well as any other car out there. Us WRX owners toot a lot about the warranty and such because WE ALL KNow, it's damn near impossible to drive that car conservatively. SO many complain about the 1000 mile break-in as if they were asked to have their balls hog-tied.

Although I don't know for sure, but I would bet it's pretty hard to hide the activity of a UTEC from the Subaru Tech...just on CEL alerts, the computer records the engine specs of the car during the incident...and I would think based upon that, it won't be hard to figure out timing and air/fuel mixes (which is what the UTEC will alter).
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I had a 13 year old malibu that lasted me 4 years of college and 2 years of my brother. All in all 18years of a vehicle just needing basic maintenance.. well, ok, I had a bad exhaust manifold and later on the hoses in a pump went which took out the heater core and damaged the pump, but that was near the end and bad hoses are expected of a car that old.

Trucks are different from cars, so don't compare them. Trucks tend to have a hardier powertrain and durable platforms since they are assumed to be used for work.

I have learned that it is much preferable to fix a lot of little things dispersed throught the lifetime of the car, rather than worry about gear popping, diff exploding, and difficult to change/diagnose items. One of the reasons I sold my VR6 was because the mechanics did not seem up to the job of fixing it. I bought the wrx because it was an old dog, and I figured most of the large mechanical kinks should have been worked out. Subaru also seemingly had a reputation for reliability among my other friends so I took a leap of faith. I just hope I'm not disapointed.

BTW: Trucks are often subjected to wheel burning launches because, well.. they can!
    Last edited by Retro; 10-16-2002 at 07:24 PM.

Originally posted by QuickSilver
    The other thing we're comparing here is driving style. How many hard launches was that FOrd subject to?...and I doubt on it's best day, you could call it a hard launch (unless it's a lightening...then all bets are off).
    well.. actually... lol.... just about every launch was a hard one, I was a junior/senior in high school, and I would do some pretty crazy stuff.. ie, slam it into reverse, floor it, sliding the back end all around, then pull it into drive never letting off the gas, and taking off in a huge cloud of tire smoke.. jumping hills on backroads at 60mph.. taking corners on two wheels(did it a couple of times, nearly flipped twice, pulled the front tire off the rim once) pulling off into the ditch at 50+mph hitting huge mudd holes and flying up into the air.. racing my friend in his el comino w/a 350 z28, wound out going 120mph for 10 miles or more... I really tore the crap out of that truck, but it never showed.. untill I hit a telephone pole and it broke off, falling over on top of my truck (brakes don't work well when you're not touching the ground)

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally I think you blew it buying a Subaru. Why would you change? That Ford was unaturally reliable. Beat the crap out of it for 250,000 miles and do nothing but change the oil, etc.? I've never heard of any vehicle from any manufacturer doing that. I thought my 200,000 mile CRX was incredible, but it needed things like CV joints, a clutch, a wheel bearing, etc. You should have bought a new Ford. Same goes for Retro. The smart thing to do would be to buy a new Chevy.

I expect my WRX to go 250,000+ miles, but I do expect that I'll have to do something other than change the fluids, filters and plugs along the way.
    Last edited by GV27; 10-18-2002 at 08:44 AM.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Personally I think you blew it buying a Subaru. Why would you change?
    well, it's kinda hard to drive a truck that has the motor shoved half way back into the cab, lol

it was reliable, up untill the point I ran off the road, hit a sign that flew up and stuck through the windshield right next to my head, hitting the ditch, which sent me flying through the air 90mph over another road, up the ditch on the other side of the road and square head on into a telephone pole, which promptly broke off and fell back over on top of the cab... the front bumper looked like a "U"

I Support ClubWRX
    I understand. But why not another Ford?

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I understand. But why not another Ford?

I looked at a Focus, but they're too narrow.. it pretty much sucked all around.

I am going to keep my car stock as well. Eventually, I would like to get a Scooby sport or Pro-drive muffler, but not if it will void the warranty.

I think the best thing we can do for the WRX is probably put a really nice set of shoes on it.

btw - there is prejudice about modding cars and them not being covered under warranty... Raised on a farm, you should see what people do to their trucks, etc., and they can handle it just fine! What do you think of this mod for example:

(more info here: http://www.kensi90.com/Hydra_Bed/body_hydra_bed.html )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails postthis.jpg  
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

I Support ClubWRX
    But a truck like that is basically just sold as a chassis with a cab on it - sure they sell it with different beds, but you can also just get it as a bare chassis and cab. I really wouldn't call a bed a mod in this case - more like "outfitting". You take that same truck and strap a supercharger to the motor and its a different story.

Now if you take a regular street pickup, lower it to the ground and take the bed off and fit it with hydraulics so it can lift like that - and hook it up to the stereo so it "dances" with the music, what do you call it? Redneck Rice? Grits?

edited for spelling (see post below for horrendous typo!)
    Last edited by GV27; 11-02-2002 at 12:05 PM.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

But a truck like that is basically just sold as a chassis with a cab on it - sure they sell it with different beds, but you can also just get it as a bare chassis and cab. I really wouldn't call a bed a mod in this case - more like "outfitting". You take that same truck and strap a supercharger to the motor and its a different story.

Now if you take a regular street pickup, lower it to the ground and take the bed off and fit it with hydrolics so it can lift like that - and hook it up to the stereo so it "dances" with the music, what do you call it? Redneck Rice? Grits?
    Hahaha! Grits... I love it!
    --------------------------------------
    AIM: jeffsw1981
    email: jeff_s_w@yahoo.com

2002 WRBlue WRX (Stock)
    Factory installed options:
    Short Throw Shifter
    Premium Sound System
    Turbo Boost Gauge

Now if you take a regular street pickup, lower it to the ground and take the bed off and fit it with hydraulics so it can lift like that - and hook it up to the stereo so it "dances" with the music, what do you call it? Redneck Rice? Grits?
    lol...

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.