Oil
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; do our cars come with sinthetic or regular oil? and........ where is our tank located at? thank u...

Oil

do our cars come with sinthetic or regular oil?

and........

where is our tank located at?

thank u

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dyno-Oil

Our cars come from the factory with good ol' mineral-based oil, not synthetic. Not sure what brand they use, or the wieght for that matter. Believe it's 5W30.

I changed to Mobil 1, 5W30 at the 7000 mile oil change.

Peace,

Curtis

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    pretty sure this one belongs here
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I Support ClubWRX
    Ain't no tank. Just a pan. "Wet sump".
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

so i should change it at 3,000 miles rite?

or can it go longer?

Originally posted by AzNuGn

or can it go longer?
    if you're using synthetic, going 5K should be more than fine. they reccomend 7K

dR

how many miles after you got your car did u change the oil?

because im about to hit 4,000 miles and i wanna know if i should REALLY do it RIGHT now or can i wait a little while
    because im gonna be busy for the next month or so

I Support ClubWRX
    wait...have you had your first oil change yet?

i think getting your oil changed (synthetic or not) is more of a priority, since you're supposed to change the oil every 3k miles, and if this is the first 4k you've driven, the car is still being broken in and the oil's probably all black and crappy lookin'.
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

!st oil change

You need to check the manual to see what the recommended drain time is. The oil the manufactures put in new cars have additives in them and you shouldnt change oil early. As far as swithing to synthetic I wouldnt do it before 7k....I have waited until 10k with my cars.

Originally posted by AzNuGn

or can it go longer?
    I don't have the manual in front of me, but as I recall, it was 3,000 miles for the first oil change. Sounds like you're overdue. You could switch over to synthetic now, but most recommend using dino oil until the 7,000 mile mark.
    Old, but not slow.

I Support ClubWRX
    ya know, i think the debate over the time to switch from dino to synth. oil has been beaten to death - i've heard so many convincing justifications to switch at 1st oil change, 7000mi, 10000mi, 15000mi, that it doesn't really matter when you make the change. in fact, the only thing they've consistently said is this: switch to synthetic!!!
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

tan
    Originally posted by Penguinking
    ya know, i think the debate over the time to switch from dino to synth. oil has been beaten to death - i've heard so many convincing justifications to switch at 1st oil change, 7000mi, 10000mi, 15000mi, that it doesn't really matter when you make the change. in fact, the only thing they've consistently said is this: switch to synthetic!!!
    which is why we have a SEARCH button, where we can find these topics where it has been beaten to death (I know the moderators all agree)

I DO agree tan about searching. I wish more people would utilize it, not because it makes it easier on the mods, but becasue people could save a TON of time if they decided to run a few well thought out searches before being lazy, and just asking hoping someone else can do the work.

BUT

you're tone sucks. try and be a little more friendly, becasue you come across as a dik sometimes.

all you had to do was run the search and post the link. maybe if you said something like this

"see how useful searching can be? everything you could ever want to know about changing the oil on a WRX is there. part #'s, product opinions, timing, types of oil, drawbacks and benefits etc. see below
    "

you could NEVER get as concise and thorough a response in one thread. once someone is led to the search tool, they'll start using it. i use it every day.

Oil Change Search

I Support ClubWRX
    hey tan: thanks alot, kiddo, i knew about the search button

what i was trying to say, however, was that its almost pointless to go through the myriad threads that go back and forth on this topic - while its always good to learn more about the car, i think that (sometimes...hehe, make sure you hilight that, cause i don't want ppl to go randomly doing crap to their car) sometimes the best thing to do is to try it out for yourself. in this case, experimenting w/ when to change to synth shouldn't be detrimental to your car, considering how EVERYONE that made the switch at 3, 5, 10k, whatever milage, is still satisfied w/ how the car runs regardless of when they did it. so AzNuGn, change the oil in you're car now (since ur 1k overdue). go regular dino, or go synthetic. it doesnt matter. however, the one thing there seems to be more of a concensus on is that you should try to stray from switching back and forth between dino and synth oil. while its ok to experiment with differnt types within each catagory, it isnt neccessarily ok to try dino one time and then use synth oil the next change.

personally i don't like to press the "use the search" feature very much b/c then i come off sounding like a moderator nazi.

-Robert
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

thanks Penguinking

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.