Replacing Cracked Windshield

This is a discussion on Replacing Cracked Windshield within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an '05 WRX and need to replace my cracked windshield. Of course, the recommended "Subaru glass" is extremely ...

Replacing Cracked Windshield

I have an '05 WRX and need to replace my cracked windshield. Of course, the recommended "Subaru glass" is extremely expensive and I was hoping to get a cheaper replacement, such as a PPG replacement windshiled.

I contacted Safelite to replace my windshield but they said that my car is too new and that they have to order the glass from the dealership. Does anyone have any experience replacing their '05 windshield? Were you able to get a replacement windshield from another company, such as PPG? If so, have you had any problems with the fit?

Right now, it looks like it's going to cost $550 to replace my windshield and my comprehensive deductable is $500. *Sigh*

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just went through the same thing with my wife's WRX. The new glass has that black trim around the outside. If you don't care about that, they can use the '03 glass that is $260. My local Subaru dealers quoted me $653 for the glass, and $643 to my local window shop, that's over $800 installed after tax.

I called Subaru and they didn't even say they would do mine, they gave me the number to someone else. That guy did it for $220. It is good glass, except it is missing the top dark part which I didn't notice until he left oh well... This is the second windshield I have gone through in the last 6 months so I am not about to spend $600 everytime...
    2013 WRX SWP