Rear diff. fluid change?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rear diff. fluid change? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i feel i should change my rear diff oil out but i was wondering if i had to take off ...

Rear diff. fluid change?

i feel i should change my rear diff oil out but i was wondering if i had to take off the cover or just undo that bottom plug? then fill with the top plug? never got to have a car with a drainable looking cover so had to ask. i searched and couldnt find anything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i did mine a few weeks ago. i used mobil 1 85w 90 i believe. losen the bottom plug with a half inch drive ratched u may need a section of pipe to crack the locktite type stuff the factory used. remove the plug. let it drain for 15 mins so it drips off the gears. Then replace the bottom plug. now remove your top plug. just keep puttin fluid in until it starts to come out. replace plug and make sure you tighten em down. Oh yea make sure you wipe off the magent on the bottom plud i believe.
    Good luck with this
    Pete
    2002 black wrx BuGeYe
    Smokey the bear "Protect our friends damn it"

thanks!! i will surely be doing this very soon, its nice to know theres no gaskets involved

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bxr
    thanks!! i will surely be doing this very soon, its nice to know theres no gaskets involved
    well there is a kinda liquid gasket on it but i didnt replace mine and ive had no leaks so there ya go.
    2002 black wrx BuGeYe

You wont need any gaskets or sealants at all. The plugs wont leak. And I would pull the top plug first. What happens if you drain it out, and the top plug is too tight and you cant break it loose, or for some reason you strip it. Now you cant fill it and you need to get it towed. I would always do the top one then the bottom. Also I doubt it was 85-90. Doesnt exist.(to my knowledge at least) Subaru recommends 80-90, 75-90 would be ok too but I would stick with just an 80-90 weight GL-5 it doesnt need synthetic or anything. Also if you are worried about doing it yourself and are unsure of what gear lube then Id say just take it to a local Jiffy lube. Only costs 29.99.

Quote Originally Posted by IHRTWRX
    You wont need any gaskets or sealants at all. The plugs wont leak. And I would pull the top plug first. What happens if you drain it out, and the top plug is too tight and you cant break it loose, or for some reason you strip it. Now you cant fill it and you need to get it towed. I would always do the top one then the bottom. Also I doubt it was 85-90. Doesnt exist.(to my knowledge at least) Subaru recommends 80-90, 75-90 would be ok too but I would stick with just an 80-90 weight GL-5 it doesnt need synthetic or anything. Also if you are worried about doing it yourself and are unsure of what gear lube then Id say just take it to a local Jiffy lube. Only costs 29.99.
    yes very tru with the top bolt first...yea i used 80w 90 haha sry i had too many things on my mind at once and didnt realize wht i typed but yea that adive should make it a pretty easy job.
    Pete
    2002 black wrx BuGeYe

According to the FSM, the required thread sealant is Three Bond 1105 (Part No 004403010). However, many people have omitted this step without any problems.

Also according to the FSM, the recommended wait is 75W90, not 80W90.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke04
    According to the FSM, the required thread sealant is Three Bond 1105 (Part No 004403010). However, many people have omitted this step without any problems.

Also according to the FSM, the recommended wait is 75W90, not 80W90.

Really. I was almost 100% sure it was 80-90. Well I guess I was wrong.

Yeah you were pretty much right on with yours but I just had to step in, because I would hate to see something bad like that happen.

How often should this be done on say an 05 STi? How bout the trans?
    <----Yup that's ME!

"I hope you die today" - BUD/s Instructor to MIDN McIntyre

Cops: "Are you concidered human?"
    Bruce: "Negative I am a meat popcicle"

My Cars: http://www.rpi.edu/~hartls/

Quote Originally Posted by slavboy1
    I think its either 12 or 15k on wrx. I would think the sti would be the same.

thanks fella's, ill be sure to break top'n first

Quote Originally Posted by slavboy1
    Recommended service interval for the tranny and diff fluids is every 30k

http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedul...2005myfed.html

Check out this website, has very good info for tranny stuff.
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/gearoil/index.html

Would it be advantageous to change it every 15k rather than 30k or would that just we a waste of money? Also, what do you guys think of Redline MT-90. It seems as though Cobb is a fan of it for cars used for Auto X and street driving. Any of you have any thoughts on it? And it seems he recommends the Redline 75W90 for mechanical rear diffs (such as the 05 STi rear diff if i'm not mistaken). Thoughs comments suggestions anyone? I am driving from Minnesota to Upstate NY in a couple of months and right now my car has 16,800 miles on it so i was thinking about changing all the fluids before i make the trek. Thanks guys.
    <----Yup that's ME!

"I hope you die today" - BUD/s Instructor to MIDN McIntyre

Cops: "Are you concidered human?"
    Bruce: "Negative I am a meat popcicle"

My Cars: http://www.rpi.edu/~hartls/

Yeah. I guess I was thinking of something different when I said 12 or 15. But yes it is 30k, but if you drive hard it definately would not hurt anything to change it early. Changing the diff fluid is twice as easy as changing the oil so if you think it needs to be done then just do it. I would recommend just maybe once a month check the level and the color and decide to do it or not. Once it starts getting brown its probably a good idea to do it. Its supposed to be a very light color. Even a tad lighter than motor oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast