Differential Oil Change
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Differential Oil Change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; how you guys doing. well ive got a quick question. i just got my oil change at 21k at a ...

Differential Oil Change

how you guys doing. well ive got a quick question. i just got my oil change at 21k at a mobil 1 lube shop. they said that i have to change my diffential oil cause there are metal shavings in the rear diffential. the liquid looked watery too. i took my car to the dealership at 15k for maintenance but they told me they dont do **** sometimes. so should i go and chagne it this week?
    2004 Java Black WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i would say go and get it changed, just to be safe. I changed mine, along with my tranny fluid, to full synthetic. i only had 17000 on my '02 when i changed mine with little or no hard launches/races and there was some shavings on the drain plug magnet.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

LOL, when i changed my transmission fluid on my 02 wrx (is now gone) i had more shavings then oil. If my car wasnt launched on the line, it wasnt me in the driver seat. With a new car comes new driving habbits Id get it changed to be safe.

go ahead and change it. I just did this over the last weekend, and was suprised as to how nasty the oil in the rear diff. was. It doens take that long and it is easy to do. Oh I also used mobil one 75w90 in the diff and trans.

Is there any tutorials on how to do this? I bought my car at 14000 miles, now has 15000 miles on it, I'm assuming this has never been done so I should probably do it.
    Andrew

Never quit. Never do the expected. Never follow.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/wrxrolla

i just did both and WOW like a whole new tranny i love it.... Like BIG differance....

I have a special mix though !
    Im gonna throw up a post about it now anyways

1 Bottle of Redline ShockProof Lightweight
    3 Bottles of Redline 75W90NS

Rear Diff - 1 Bottle of Redline Shockproof Heavy
    2003 ASPEN WHITE WRX
    ------------------------
    Stage 2 !!!!

Would you guys reccomend this for the STi trans too? I have 16,000 miles on it and it hasn't been driven all that hard. Do i need to be concerned about my warranty? Is this something i should have the dealership do in order to have it documented? Gracias guys
    <----Yup that's ME!

"I hope you die today" - BUD/s Instructor to MIDN McIntyre

Cops: "Are you concidered human?"
    Bruce: "Negative I am a meat popcicle"

My Cars: http://www.rpi.edu/~hartls/

I am about to change my reaf diff fluid but can't figure out how to get under there to work since it has to be level. I searched but couldn't find much. I have ramps and 2 jack stands so maybe I could drive the front up on the ramps and put the rear up on jack stands if I can get the same approx. height? Any sugegstions?

Thats what I did.
    Andrew

Park it level, and buy a big ass turkey baster. It's like a syphon, or syringe Use that to fill up the diff, it's the cleanest easiest way. Once it's at the filler whole, you're done. And don't get any on your clothes, gear oil is the stinkiest crap in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by VOLFAN
    I am about to change my reaf diff fluid but can't figure out how to get under there to work since it has to be level. I searched but couldn't find much. I have ramps and 2 jack stands so maybe I could drive the front up on the ramps and put the rear up on jack stands if I can get the same approx. height? Any sugegstions?
    -ORW

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    I'll get under there this weekend and see if I can loosen things up and maybe shoot some lube juice up in there.

Oh sht, please don't sig that.

Thanks for the suggestions...I decided to take advantage of the situation and talk my wife into letting me buy a nice jack and four jack stands to do this. I mean I am saving ~$300 or more by doing the whole 30k mile service myself instead of letting the dealer gouge me.

Now, I just need to learn how to replace a roof and talk her into letting me take the several thousand dollars saved there into a 60" plasma screen for the bedroom! hmmm, I love self service. With this kind of rationale I could have fit right in at Enron!

Lol, sounds like the way I rationalize most things too. Which is why I'm now driving a '90 Corolla with 173k miles on it.

You'll still need the syringe though, cause you can't tilt up a bottle enough to actually pour into the diff. You'll see what I mean once you get under there. And I'd recommend not trying a funnel and tons of tubing, as many of us have tried and learned better of.
    -ORW

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    I'll get under there this weekend and see if I can loosen things up and maybe shoot some lube juice up in there.

Oh sht, please don't sig that.

Actually I was able to tip the bottle and then I could squeeze the redline bottle until it overflowed out the hole.
    Andrew

I'm due to change my diff lube, what size are the pipe plugs? I'll need to order the tool it looks like, I asked at the parts stores, and the best they could do is tell me to buy some square steel stock and use a vise grips to turn it...I'm sure that would work, but they should know there is a tool for that.
    Thanks in advance,
    Brian

You can just use a 1/2 inch breaker bar. Don't put a socket on the bar and just stick it in the hole. You don't need any special tools.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast