Craptastic Gas Mileage - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Craptastic Gas Mileage within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; lucky bastard...

lucky bastard

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 05WRX0704
    lucky bastard
    i wouldnt called lucky necisarily.. as far as i know thats how the ej20 is engineered.. i noticed very very negligible differences when driving conservative and driving aggressive.. sometimes the numbers were backwards,,,,the only time i got great gas milage was when i shifted at 2800 rpm and never hit boost by listening for it.. i got 26mpg...i got 26.2 by driving up to the mountains and coasting back down... that was with alotta spirited driving mixed in too

Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    no im just pointing out that beyond all that i still got almost 22 mpg
    Ahh. I see. Yeah mine doesnt seem to change much unless one tank is very spirited and the next pretty much deprived of boost.

I make a 285 mile trip almost every weekend, interstate almost door-to-door, but hilly in parts. I get it up to 90 and put the cruise on. I usually just make it as the light comes on. That's 13 gallons, 22mpg. A strong head wind will drop it 2mpg! If I up the cruising speed to >100, then the mileage is about 18mpg. I'm intrigued by these people who get 26 or 28, how fast (or should that be slow?) do they drive? I've been tempted to find out what the mileage would be at a 55 cruise, but the boredom (and spending an extra hour-and-a-half on the journey) would kill me. I gave up on the tire pressure idea. I used to run 36/34 and all it did was give me too much wear in the center of the tread.

I think you answered the question yourself: "wow. about 500lbs heavier than my old car"

Crusing at 75mph I will get 28 mpg, but that is cruising at 75mpg the whole tank (350 - 375ish miles)
    2013 WRX SWP

350 mi on 14.2 gal interstate driving @ 70mph. My car weighed in at 3250 at the track.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

Quote Originally Posted by perfusionista
    I make a 285 mile trip almost every weekend, interstate almost door-to-door, but hilly in parts. I get it up to 90 and put the cruise on. I usually just make it as the light comes on. That's 13 gallons, 22mpg. A strong head wind will drop it 2mpg! If I up the cruising speed to >100, then the mileage is about 18mpg. I'm intrigued by these people who get 26 or 28, how fast (or should that be slow?) do they drive? I've been tempted to find out what the mileage would be at a 55 cruise, but the boredom (and spending an extra hour-and-a-half on the journey) would kill me. I gave up on the tire pressure idea. I used to run 36/34 and all it did was give me too much wear in the center of the tread.

I think you answered the question yourself: "wow. about 500lbs heavier than my old car"
    light turns on when theres 2.3 gallons in your tank... 15.9-2.3= 13.6 gallons

thats a good bit left

mileage

On my 2002, at 74000 miles, I've noticed very slight degradation on fuel mileage.
    At a cruise control setting of 70mph in the middle of nowhere (Utah, Nevada, etc)
    it'll get a little over 29. The best it got brand new under similar conditions was 29.8
    mpg. Under normal highway driving conditions mine does no better than about 27
    on the best day. Mixed city and highway seems to yield me around 23-25 mpg.
    Pure city driving, putting around with low or no boost involved, will net you 21-22
    or so. All the above is on crappy CA gas. And there is a significant variance in
    CA gas, tankful to tankful. Some of it is truly lousy. I've got some 91 Shell in the
    tank right now that is posting some of the largest numbers on the boost gauge
    that I've seen in the past three years.
    My car has no mods. And yes, in stock form the WRX is very fat in terms of fuel
    trim as a warranty safeguard.

Im lucky to get 170 miles to a full tank of gas. I drive to school and work everyday.. Abut 30 miles a day

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff
    I get 22-23 mpg.. about 320 miles per fill up-- no matter how I drive usually- But I do mostly highway, which helps
    I get about the same - 21 to 23. It's mixed suburban / rural driving with some highway. And that is with stage 2. (I <3 the wiggler!) >>

Hi All. New to this forum. Just bought an 04 wagon last month. I've been tracking fuel mileage since. I keep a note pad in the console and write miles and gallons every fill-up. Then, when I have gone through a few tanks, I transfer it to Excel.

I highly recommend this method to everyone. Your MPG for one tank is not a good indication of what is going on with your car. The pump where you got gas might shut off half a gallon earlier than another. The concrete at the gas station might be sloped one way or another... What I'm getting to is that there are variations in how full the tank gets each and every fill. If you keep track of the mileage every fill-up, then you will know what your average MPG is. Right now, mine is about 25.4mpg averaged over 4 tanks. I missed one tank when I let my Dad drive the car to work, he filled it up without keeping the log. Would have been all highway miles too, bumping up the average a little probably.

Anyway, my high mileage is 30mpg. My low is 22mpg. The former is all highway, mostly under 80mph. The latter is mixed city/hwy seeing what the car can do.

Please try it. You'll like it..

Buck

Taint no poo my friend. I was filling up at a certain station, and was wondering why my light was coming on w/ 5 gallons in the tank. Well, it wasn't. I discovered this when I switched stations and got 15 mpg. Went back to old station and got 27, w/ city driving. I figured out it was just the different filling. I keep ALL my rec. in the car and write the mileage on all of them. Avg. it out every week (Every 5 days to be exact) I get 20-21 mpg. And am MORE than happy w/ it. 92 Olds Gutlass, 3.1V6, no HP, decent torque, 20 MPG, FWD. SO, AWD, MUCH faster, I'll take it!!!!!

(Of course, my decently quick 87 Daytona got/gets 30+ mpg and low 14's)
    Sonic Yellow Snow Cone
    My Mods
    "Is that your dog sled?" "I'm standing next to it."
    Quote from TFATF-4 Anchorage Drift

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.