Stupid Fuel Mistake

This is a discussion on Stupid Fuel Mistake within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My new WRX has about 750 miles on it now, with about 250 of those miles run with 89 octane ...

Stupid Fuel Mistake

My new WRX has about 750 miles on it now, with about 250 of those miles run with 89 octane fuel in it. The stupid part is that I KNEW it's supposed to get 91 octane (minimum) and that's what mid-grade is in Buffalo where I'm from. But here in SC, mid-grade is only 89! So the first time i fuelled up, I just grabbed the middle nozzle without even checking the octane rating. I shouldn't experience any problems after having done this correct? Once I realized what I did, I filled up with 93. Will this effect the ECU's learning process? Any tips/reassurance would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Don't worry, drive on.

Yeah you've been keeping it out of boost per the standard break in procedure so you should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    Yeah you've been keeping it out of boost per the standard break in procedure so you should be OK.
    My service manager said to throw the standard break in period section of the manual out the window.... the only thing he said to keep was the don't use the cruise rule...
    2004 WRB Wagon R.I.P. (Officially a lemon)

SAVE DARFUR! http://www.savedarfur.org/content
    NEVER let fear hold you back from something beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieJeep
    My service manager said to throw the standard break in period section of the manual out the window.... the only thing he said to keep was the don't use the cruise rule...
    That's basically what they told me as well, so I've been driving it like I normally would, which is usually putting around like an old lady and sometimes getting on it from a roll... definitely into boost. I couldn't imagine 250 miles on 89 octane would do anything detrimental, but I worry about EVERYTHING. Thanks for the replies so far.

Yeah, you're fine. With the car completely stock, using 89 that one time isn't gonna cause a single problem. It's pretty normal to worry about every little thing though - epecially when the car is brand new.
    vf22 Wagon whp305/310wtq

Evo IX: 475whp

Both DYNOFLASH

The service manager told me the same thing when I brought my car in! He told me that the engines are already broken in from the factory. Needless to say that I didn't take his advice, I am gonna do just what the factory tells me I should for proper break-in. I couldn't hurt after all.