This fell on my foot...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on This fell on my foot... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yesterday this electrical connector fell out from under the dash onto my clutch foot. Anyone know where it goes? I ...

Registered User onearmedscissor's Avatar

This fell on my foot...

Yesterday this electrical connector fell out from under the dash onto my clutch foot. Anyone know where it goes? I took a quick look up there and did not see anything obvious and nothing out of the ordinary has happened since. I know that if I took some more time and really stuck my head up there I could figure it out but I would really like to know what circuit it is part of either way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow thats odd... doesnt even look like it does anything with one wire connected to itself... sorry dont know where it came from
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

hmm....looks a lot like the special connector that comes with an accessport and plugs into a connecter only when loading a base map. Thats all I can think of.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

well to me it looks like a jumper to complete a specific circuit, likely replacing a piece of not installed equipment that the current would otherwise run through. Anyone know where I can get ahold of Subaru wiring schematics and/or a repair manual?

Quote Originally Posted by onearmedscissor
    well to me it looks like a jumper to complete a specific circuit, likely replacing a piece of not installed equipment that the current would otherwise run through. Anyone know where I can get ahold of Subaru wiring schematics and/or a repair manual?
    thats exactly what the connecter that comes with the AP does...did you buy this car used and the previous owner did work to it?

no help on wiring schematics though, more input would be nice.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Does your car have a UTEC remote switch/Launch Control installed. If so, that part comes with the kit and has something to do with te the cruise control clutch switch or something. I definitely remember installing that lil guy though.
    New England F4
    -----------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE!!!

VF22/FMIC/UTEC/Pinks/ACT/STi RA's/Apex'i N1 Type-V's - Tuned at XXTuning, 270 WHP/ 270 TQ @ 18.5psi. 12.697@ 108.95

I bought the car brand new and have done no mods so far. Thats a good one about the cruise. I tried most every other componant I could think of to see if they still worked (fogs, etc.) but not the cruise. Ill check it later today.

Do you have the factory alarm installed? I just installed it in mine and there is a connector like that in the harness that the starter kill relay (that comes with the alarm kit) plugs into. I had to remove the dummy plug when installing the relay.

I am pretty sure its not the test mode connector for the AccessPort because the AP one has 2 wires, not 1 like in your picture.

Yeah we got the alarm installed at the dealer before we took delivery. Are you saying that this connector was possibly removed from somewhere when the alarm was installed and was maybe left in there hanging around not attached to anything?

Could be... I just installed my alarm last week, and that is definately what the connector looked like, although there is a chance its a standard connector type... Unless someone has another idea, I'd say that there's a good chance that they left the connector floating around up there. The location fits, since the starter relay goes right under the steering column. Plus, I would be amazed if the connector would have just fallen out of there if it was actually plugged into anything...

OK now I'm 99% sure... I just found the dummy connector that i removed from my car during the install, and it looks exactly like the one in your picture. 1 thick black wire w/ yellow stripe connecting the top-middle pin to the bottom-left pin (with clip part on top)

yeah that is the exact pin configuration of the connector I have. Sounds like it just was left there during the alarm install.

Quote Originally Posted by CyRex
    OK now I'm 99% sure... I just found the dummy connector that i removed from my car during the install, and it looks exactly like the one in your picture. 1 thick black wire w/ yellow stripe connecting the top-middle pin to the bottom-left pin (with clip part on top)
    Subarus ship with a connector that looks like this, why it ships with it is beyond me though.

Throw it away

That's definitely from the installation of the alarm upgrade, although most tech's remove them and throw it away instead of scaring the customer half to death. You can just get rid of it, it's completely useless once the alarm upgrade is installed. If you still feel the need for any of the schematics though, feel free to stop by Capital Subaru and I'll either let you look through the service manuals, or print you the specific pages off of the computer.

Oh great, I'm sure we'll hear from the SRT-4 crowd about how 'all them Scoobies are just falling apart into their owners laps'....

Personally, I'd keep it so I could discreetly drop it onto the floor of a friends car, just to scare the sh*t out of him by saying 'what is THAT?'
    Dino
    - '03 WRX sedan - SOLD (Jan 07)
    - '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Stock)
    - '05 Volvo S60R - stock (Stock)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast