'02 Fog Light Bracket Rust

This is a discussion on '02 Fog Light Bracket Rust within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just an FYI, 02/03 fog light bolts - make sure you put anti-seize or something to prevent rust on these ...

'02 Fog Light Bracket Rust

Just an FYI, 02/03 fog light bolts - make sure you put anti-seize or something to
    prevent rust on these things. I went to change my bulbs the other day and they were
    so seized on the bolt heads snapped off. I thought I had the last time I changed them, but it wasn't enough apparently. I drilled and tapped the brackets since I couldn't extract the screws....have to go get new brackets at some point.
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My car spent the first 5k miles of it's life in Buffalo NY. In just that short period of time, they were rusted solid

Wow, thats pretty quick. With the weather they get its not too surprising I guess. Just an evil spot for bolts w/ any kind of salty roads...I'm just glad its a separate bracket and not part of the chassis or anything. It was a nice easy way to turn a 10 minute bulb swap into a 3 hour ordeal.

I feel your pain. I had the same thing happen to me. I was starting to change out my bulbs and I snapped off a bolt. Thought I would quit while I was ahead and wait until I absolutely had to replace the bulbs.

What's involved in changing the bracket?
    "The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts... attitudes... prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to The Twilight Zone."

Best Regards,
    Ah Clem

The bracket is pretty easy to change. Just gotta pop off the brake duct area (plastic
    clips mostly) then you shift the bracket to release it (once the light is out of course) and
    you can take it out...its just a small sheet metal bracket that slots onto the
    plastic...16 bucks from subaru. Takes <5 minutes to swap it out. My ordeal was
    because I was trying to remove the broken bolts/drilling/tapping new holes.