Squeaky alternator pulley

This is a discussion on Squeaky alternator pulley within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So for the last several months my engine has made a rhythmic squeaking noise while at idle. It finally got ...

Question Squeaky alternator pulley

So for the last several months my engine has made a rhythmic squeaking noise while at idle. It finally got to me today, so I went under the hood to see if I could isolate the source. I decided it was coming from the pulley on the alternator, which left me wondering what to do. For some reason, I decided to hit it with a blast of air, thinking that the noise would change and I'd have a definite answer as to the source. A huge cloud of dust came flying out of the pulley and the plastic cover that covers the top half of it, and the squeaking stopped.

So problem solved, but this left me wondering: would it be advisable to spray some WD-40 in there to clean out the dust/dirt, and if so, should it be done on a regular basis?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey I have the same problem. I would like to know the answer as well.

same here, i was thinking my alternator belt was slipping

Yeah I know it has to do with the belts but I dont know what to do. I dont think I would need new belts at 33k. Oh by the way blackrex02 you are pretty local to me. Not that that makes any difference I just wanted to say whats up.

Quote Originally Posted by IHRTWRX
    Yeah I know it has to do with the belts but I dont know what to do. I dont think I would need new belts at 33k. Oh by the way blackrex02 you are pretty local to me. Not that that makes any difference I just wanted to say whats up.
    well im at 56k miles and ive never had any problems til recently.. just a lil chirp coming from the pully.... ill try cleaning it off... where abouts are you from?

I was searching the web since no one here wants to get me a definitive answer, and there are a lot of sites that say WD-40 is great for fixing alternator squeaks. So I hit it this morning with a shot right in the center. No more squeaks

Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    well im at 56k miles and ive never had any problems til recently.. just a lil chirp coming from the pully.... ill try cleaning it off... where abouts are you from?
    Well I just took a look at my belts and one of em was off a groove. I put it back in place shot a blast of air at the alternator pulley and... bam! no more squeeking!