Mobil 1 15,000 mile oil....(which filter to use)

This is a discussion on Mobil 1 15,000 mile oil....(which filter to use) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I wanted to try out the new Mobil 1 15,000 mile oil..... Just wondering if there is a Oil filter ...

Mobil 1 15,000 mile oil....(which filter to use)

I wanted to try out the new Mobil 1 15,000 mile oil.....

Just wondering if there is a Oil filter on the market that will hold up for more than 7,000 to 8,000 miles.

BTW i have a 04 WRX....ocassionally driven hard.

Also im looking to use the same Mobil 1 in my delivery Vans (again which filter should i use).....one is a Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 Litre motor ...the other is a 4.7 Litre Chevy 1500.

I had originally looked at K&N but after some reading here i have decided not to use them...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Purolator PureOne.

Now whether or not you should really go 15k miles between changes is an entirely different discussion.........
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Registered User volcomsoldier19's Avatar

mobil one

i work in the oil change business and i would'nt reccomend going over 6 thousand miles on an oil and oil filter....what weight of oil are you using? Do you live in a generally hot (desert) or cold climate

I Support ClubWRX
    I and others have shown there is no issue going to the max permissible 7,500 miles on Mobil1 (in my case 5W-40 "Truck/SUV" aka Delvac1 "diesel" formulation) using the stock Subaru filter.

Whether you can safely go 15,000 can not be determined until *you* do the oil analysis and see the data since everyone's particular situation is different and 15K is a long interval.

In any case on a 2004 WRX this is a moot point, as your warranty *demands* that you change oil and filter by 7,500 miles regardless of how well the oil and filter are holding up.

Note that many firms are recommending 10,000 oil change intervals or even longer and several have done so for decades. For example, Saab, BMW, Mercedes, VAG, and Porsche come to mind. Each currently recommends 10,000 mile intervals or longer. However, each has VERY specific criteria for what oil to use, and each of course assumes nobody in their right mind would not use the correct factory-built filter (go figure...).

It's also interesting to note that Porsche currently recommends 10,000 oil change intervals (and in the US a pseudo-synthetic API GrIII oil or better) on all their legacy model motors dating back to (brace yourselves...) 1978! This implies that those motors used in 4cyl Porsches of that long-gone era (ah, the memories!) that are really VAG motors (924 etc.) can also go 10,000 miles on a GrIII pseudo-synth like Amsoil XL7500 or Castrol Syntec US-made.

I don't see an inherent problem in trying for 15,000 oil change intervals once your warranty is up and if -- and only if! -- you do oil analysis to show you're OK at that interval. I'd try getting data at 7,500 miles and then every 1,500 miles or so after that and see what the lab tech says you can do from there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19
    i work in the oil change business and i would'nt reccomend going over 6 thousand miles on an oil and oil filter....what weight of oil are you using? Do you live in a generally hot (desert) or cold climate
    I would have to more agree with you as I as well am in the oil change business. I will still do my oil changes no more than 3000 miles even tho a lot of companys say 5000 is ok on synthetic. And I would never even trust going 7500 miles let alone 15000 Especially as said above not without getting the oil analyzed. I have heard that there is like a 2x filter which is I think made by fram(dont quote me) that allows you to keep the filter on for two oil changes. And same goes for that. I will just still with a subie filter and change my oil every 3k. I dont like to risk things like that.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think for the vast majority of us there's no benefit doing 3,000 oil changes with the proper oil, be it synthetic or not.

I saw data from a STi 2.5 run over 7,000 miles on regular Pennzoil and the results looked just fine. The data from my 2.0 WRX on M1 show the oil is still in terrific shape after 6,000.

If you are doing multiple hot laps and your car is using a stock cooling and oiling system then that's another story, but a road car will IMO do fine following SOA's requirements ranging from 3,750 if you are towing the Queen Mary up Mt. Everest to 7,500 if you are driving daily at least 15 miles on an open motorway under ideal temps and no dust.

To each their own, and it's not my money anyway, but it is an expense and it does tax the environment too so I don't change oil unless I have to personally -- and I have to much more rarely than one might think. I suspect most users are like me in this regard.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah you may be right but then again if all I want to do is run like pennz or quaker state all I gotta pay for is the filter. So I can change my oil for like 5 bucks.

Im located in Naperville / Downer's Grove IL....
    Chicago suburbs...

And all three Vehicles Use 5W30...even the 6.0 Litre Chevy

Thanks for the Replies guys.....i was actually planning on running about 7000 miles on the 15000 M1 oil....guess not!~!

ususally i do oil changes every 3000 on regular M1 with either the OEM subaru filter or puralator pure 1....

My main reason for posting this was an opinion on my main chevy delivery vans....

One has gone as far as 15,000 miles on regular dino oil

They are 6.0 litre 2500 and a 4.7 litre 1500...

i really wanna switch to Mobil 1 15000 on these vans...

as far as the suby is concerened i will still change the oil at 3-4 K as i usually do...

All in all is there a decent oil filter for the domestic chevy's that will hold for around atleast 10,000 instead of the advertised 15,000???
    Last edited by bluej20; 05-18-2005 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluej20
    Chicago suburbs...

Thanks for the Replies guys.....i was actually planning on running about 7000 miles on the 15000 M1 oil....guess not!~!

ususally i do oil changes every 3000 on regular M1 with either the OEM subaru filter or puralator pure 1....

My main reason for posting this was an opinion on my main chevy delivery vans....

One has gone as far as 15,000 miles on regular dino oil

They are 6.0 litre 2500 and a 4.7 litre 1500...

i really wanna switch to Mobil 1 15000 on these vans...

as far as the suby is concerened i will still change the oil at 3-4 K as i usually do...

All in all is there a decent oil filter for the domestic chevy's that will hold for around atleast 10,000 instead of the advertised 15,000???
    Ahhh. Now that sounds better. I wouldnt mind trying it out on those. But definately not the suby. I am glad you were not thinkin of doing that. And as far a filters go I would just search google or something or walk into a autoparts store and ask. I will try to find out about that 2X thing and get back to you.

A really good publication to read is The Motor Oil Bilbe. It really sheds some light on oil.

Good dino oil can go 3,000 to 5,000 miles, a good synthetic can go 5,000 to 10,000 or more if you do an oil analysis.

I run AMSOIL, which as been making extended drain oil for over 25 years. They have a 25,000 or 1 year oil. Yes, 25,000 or 1 year.

It all depends what you want to believe what the oil companys have been repeating over and over so they make money, or learing something on your own.

I'm running AMSOIL in my wifes WRX and my turbo Si with no problems. An oil analysis really puts your mind to rest about any questions to how good the oil is.

It's not so much about the oil, but what gets into the oil. I have always changed my oil at 3k miles on my cars and 800 miles on my motorcycles. I have had great luck.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bluej20
    Chicago suburbs...

I don't see why not. There is no indication -- certainly not in this thread nor in any other thread I've ever come across with oil data from a Subaru motor -- that you cannot do that.

Here's the numbers I got at 5,800 miles on my motor:

TBN = 3.5

(All elements below in ppm):
    Al 3
    Cr 1
    Fe 6
    Cu 6
    Pb 3
    Sn 1
    Mo 5
    Ni 0
    Mn 0
    Ag 0
    Ti 0
    K 0
    B 0
    Si 6
    Na 5
    Ca 2497
    Mg 419
    P 937
    Zn 1092
    Ba 0
    Flashpoit 395F
    Fuel <0.5%
    Antifreeze 0%
    Water 0%
    Insolubles 0.3%

So basically I don't see what rational reasons there might be to change oil like this at 3,000 miles in the year 2005. We've come a long way and I think we ought to be taking advantage of the progress -- it's paid for, after all.

I still say get some data -- not opinions, not mine, not anyone else's, but hard numbers -- and see what they say.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-19-2005 at 11:22 AM.

tan
    one of the keys is changing your oil filter regulary. Say 7500 miles or to make it easy, 5,000 miles.

The crud trapped by the oil filter gets thrown away, plus you replenish the cranckase with some fresh oil.

If you decide to go ahead and change at 15,000 miles, make sure there's at least one filter change in there

Yeah, I am in a routine now of doing it every 5k miles. It's easy to remember and think it strikes a nice balance between the 7.5k Subaru recommends and the 3k rule of thumb. Now my wifes Mazda 3 mentions 12.5k intervals! I went 7k on her last interval and while I am no oil analysis machine the oil looked like crap when I drained it so it's going to be strict 5k intervals fro here on out.