Draining coolant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Draining coolant within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The maintenance PDF doesn't say anything about draining coolant from the engine block. Are there drain plugs on the block? ...

Draining coolant

The maintenance PDF doesn't say anything about draining coolant from the engine block. Are there drain plugs on the block?

Thanks.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

on the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. theres a plug that is used to drain the coolant out of the car

Yeah but that doesn't get all of the coolant out of the block. There should be some plugs on the block.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

So does anyone know?
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

Maybe the boxer block allows all of the coolant to drain out of the lower radiator hose?
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

I Support ClubWRX
    The majority of the coolant in the system is held in the radiator. I'm assuming you are changing the coolant. To change 100% w/o a flush machine is nearly impossible. If you are just performing a maintenance fluid exchange the radiator drain should be sufficient.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

or use a garden hose to flush out all the old coolant

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX13oy
    or use a garden hose to flush out all the old coolant
    just make sure ya got a big tray to catch it all

But ya, you can do that too
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Would you guys recommend flushing the system completely? Can I just drain the radiator and refill it with new?
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Flushing is a PITA...and likely gets a lot of coolant onto the ground.

I do flush some when I change it out, but only enough to fill a 5 gallong bucket which I take to the local gas station for disposal.

It's not really necessary unless you have an older car (like 10 years old or so). Today's modern coolants do a great job of keeping the crud out, which is the main purpose of flushing.

BTW...I've never heard of using the block plugs to drain coolant. Sounds a bit dicey to me...I'd be worried they would pop out again later on.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Thanks for the help. By the way, do you flush/fill through the radiator cap or the overflow bottle?
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    SOA released a TSB advising not to use a flushing machine.

Drain with the stopcock on the rad. Fill via the rad. Drain and re-fill the overflow tank. When you've filled up initially, burp the system, it'll have a ton of air in it and you'll have to top off repeatedly. You can squeeze the hose a little to help it burp.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So let me get this straight...
    1) Drain the system using the plug on the bottom passenger side of the radiator.
    2) Flush the system through the radiator using distilled water.
    3) Fill the system with 50/50 mix and start the car with the heater on full blast.
    4) Continue to fill with the 50/50 mix until you can't put any more in.
    Does that all make sense?
    Mods

What exactly is "burping" the system? Should I start the car with the radiator cap off and fill as air is displaced? Also, do I need to fill through the turbo coolant reservoir.

I Support ClubWRX
    Answering two previous posts at once:

Yes, you can use the turbo reservoir. Depending on the year of your car you may actually not have any other options, as you may not even have a rad cap (my car doesn't have a cap on the rad, it only has a cap on the turbo reservoir).

As for burping, it's getting air bubbles out of the system so they don't interfere with cooling and generate hotsports, potentially overheating the motor. Fill up till it's full, leave the cap off, run the motor, check for circulation as the thermostat eventually opens, top off, repeat over and over and over again. Wiggle or squeeze the hose a bit to help if you feel like it.

The steps in the previous post are basically OK keeping the necessity of burping in mind.

Also, the recent TSB states ALL models should have Subaru coolant supplement added to their system to prevent leaks. My dealer failed to do this when replacing my water pump and flushing the system (sigh...) and I'm not overly concerned but I thought I'd mention it. See Scoobymods for a PDF of the TSB I'm referring to.

Don't get coolant on paint, on the ground, or within reach of a child or pet or any mammal you car about -- ethylene glycol tastes sweet and is toxic.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast