CEL= Misfire only 3 others in the country!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on CEL= Misfire only 3 others in the country! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So there are three of us in the country that are lucky enough to have the same issue... at least ...

CEL= Misfire only 3 others in the country!

So there are three of us in the country that are lucky enough to have the same issue... at least that they know of.

The CEL is throwing a misfire code (The car is stock) which I have thrown more than once.

They have had to do a valve adjustment so far, the car was out for a week

They are talking with people in Japan about this too...

Now they will probably have to pull the head to see if there is any valve damage. The Service guy mentioned there may be a reflash for it but they were gonna pull the head just to make sure everything was fine. So I am in a crappy Pontiac Sunfire until my Ralph is better

Grr... he also said that he was working with someone from Subaru to maybe compensate me for the lost time on the car- like get me an extended warranty. Sucky thing is I purchased this when I bought the car So I suggested that they maybe refund me the money We will see what happens with that!

So if anyone else has had the same problem get your car into the shop to have it checked out... maybe there are more instances of this than they know about....

I will keep you all posted.
    2004 WRB Wagon R.I.P. (Officially a lemon)

SAVE DARFUR! http://www.savedarfur.org/content
    NEVER let fear hold you back from something beautiful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i may have been 1 of those 3.. when i 1st got my rex it got 3 cels all from "misfires" they told me i had to leave my car with them for a week so they could diagnose the problem and possibly re-program my ecu... it hasnt done it ever since..

I Support ClubWRX
    The real tragedy here is that you have to drive a Sunfire.

Sorry about the Rex. I remember you mentioning the valvejob and that sounded weird. Good luck with getting it sorted out. Maybe twist their arms a bit and get an STi swap?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

so they called me today and said they have to pull the head. I guess one of the 3 is in CA- it's an automatic, there was a couple of issues with that one. I guess they were using crappy gas and a seal wasn't seating properly. So armed with this information my dealership has decided tp pull the head. They should know more on Tuesday or Wednesday! /5

And yes the tragedy is that I have to drive this craptacular sunfire until they get this g0ddamed thing fixed

It pisses me off that a car with less than 20,000 miles needs to have the head pulled! I mean my 1989 Jeep Cherokee with 200,000+ miles on it hasn't had any major engine issues since I've owned it I've been driving it hard for 70,000miles

grrrrr.....

Does anyone know if AZ has a lemon law? hehe

I Support ClubWRX
    Actually, if this does keep popping up, you may be entitled to a replacement under AZ lemon law.

http://www.keytlaw.com/az/lemonlaw.htm

and many other results from Google.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    Actually, if this does keep popping up, you may be entitled to a replacement under AZ lemon law.

http://www.keytlaw.com/az/lemonlaw.htm

and many other results from Google.
    Thanks =D

And the luck continues... they just missed the cut off for ordering the shims they need to finish my valve job... so I'm in the Suckfire until Monday

I asked what would happen if I had to bring it in for the same issue and my service guy replies.. oh it would be rare but 'if' it did need to be brought back in we would probably have to replace the head assembly.. and I'm thinking to myself.. the h3ll you are...

GRRRRR........ under 20,000miles and they are taking the frickin engine apart... 'IF' it happens again... I think it's time I do the Lemon law crap.... I miss my Ralph!

Oh and I was asking something about the shims.. and during our conversation he mentions they reuse shims... does this sound like a good idea to anyone? It just seems to defy logic that you would re-use something the lobes of the cam rub against... get your mind out of the gutter =D am I wrong in my logic?

This is ridiculous

So I as supposed to pick up my wagon today. I get a call telling me that when they put my car back together something wasn't put back quite right or that they got faulty parts.

I guess the story is that the exhuast valve is sticking before it fully closes. From what I understand this could mean that the valve guide is bad or teh valve itself is bad. My guess is that when they replaced the valve they just stuck the new valve in the head without checking to make sure the valve guide was within tolerances. I'm thinking that the head came from the vactory as a dud and no one ever thought to check the valve guide to make sure it was within manufacturers specs. So now to fix the problem they are probably going to replace the head (which I'm thinking is better than trying to fix the current head) and replace the cam as the cam was hitting the valve stem when it was moving around in there. This means they have to order the parts- which takes a couple of days and then slap that sucker back on the car.

So it's looking like my weekend camping plans are getting shot down.. unless I want to risk taking Barbie (my 210,000+miles Cherokee) on a road trip. Not sure what to do?

give the car back, and tell them you want a new one. this is not normal problems for a car this young.

tell them to forget the rebuild, or give you 100K mile warranty, b/c you're not comfortable with the rebuild.

dR

Quote Originally Posted by dark_rex
    give the car back, and tell them you want a new one. this is not normal problems for a car this young.

tell them to forget the rebuild, or give you 100K mile warranty, b/c you're not comfortable with the rebuild.

dR
    Yeah I'm thinking about doing that. I already bought the extended warranty... so they can't give me that. I will talk with them this afternoon when I go over to the dealrship.

I may try to do the lemon law.. we will see...

this happened to my father with his second acura legend in 2002. the cars came with compresion issues after about 10K miles b/c the pisting rings weren't all the same size (2 manufacturers, slightly different spec)

he got a new engine after they rebuilt his first one b/c he said "it doesn't feel the same"

i'd advise you to proceed as he did. no use taking unnecessary risks. we all just want a car that will start up in the morning, and get us to work..

(well most of us anyways... )

Damn it turned into a novel!

Well everything except for the to work part... I'd rather my car take me to fun and adventure

So here is the newest developments. I went to the dealership this afternoon and when I got there they said the problem 'just fixed itself' They explained to me that they took the head off the car and manually turned the cam to try and reproduce the issue. They could not... so they measured everything and everything is within tolerances.

I told the service manager that I was concerned that a car with less than 20,000 miles was having major engine problems and that I felt unconfortable that they could not tell me for sure what the problem was or what they did to 'fix' it! As my Dad said so beatifully today the valves were sticking so there is something wrong with the guides they just don't fix themself.

So the service manager acknowledged that I mentioned they could refund me the purchase price of my extended warranty since they were going to offer it to me before they knew I had it. And that to trump that they woulds also refund me the price of the maintenance plan I purchased with the car- all in all that's about $3,000 back- not too shabby.

To counter I mentioned that if the problem persisted that we could very likely have a lemon on our hands (I think we already do, but I have to give them the chace to try and fix the issue before I can fully pull the lemon card) and that could mean replacing the car. Something i'm not opposed to doing.

When I was leaving I went to look in the engine compartment. The service manager mentioned that they found the 'possible' problem for the whole misfire code when they had to dismantle the top end of the engine. It seems that the manifold was leaking coolant into the cylinder head where it connects into the top of engine block. I wonder when he was going to tell me that little gem So now we have 2 major issues a misfire that ' fixed' itself and a manifold that is leaking coolant into the head. I have confirmed that this could very likely cause a misfire- makes sense since coolant isn't supposed to be leakign onto the top of the engine block and other parts it's not supposed to be in.

So we wait another day for them to reassemble and test drive... I'm pissed is all I can say! I love my car but they are certainly testing my loyalties!

Okay so enough with the novel... I will keep you monkeys updated as I get new info!

I think its a lemon already. Have them give you a new car and if you dont call your lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by roo21
    I think its a lemon already. Have them give you a new car and if you dont call your lawyer.
    Yeah I am thinking that is the case... I do believe that under the law I have to give them a 'reasonable' number of chances to fix the issue. I need to verify what that is and where I stand. GRRRR....

So according to the BBB here is where I stand....

REASONABLE NUMBER OF REPAIR ATTEMPTS
    The Arizona lemon law establishes a presumption that a reasonable number of attempts has been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties if, during the shorter of the term of the express warranty, or the period of two years or 24,000 miles following the date of the motor vehicle’s original delivery to the consumer, whichever is earlier, either of the following occurs:
    1. The same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer,
    its agents or authorized dealers but the nonconformity continues to exist.
    2. The motor vehicle is out of service for repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar
    days.

I may fall under provision (2) I need to verify with the dealership how many days I have been out of service. If I fall under provision 2 I need to file a preliminary claim and take it from there.

That would be a long battle I am sure... no dealership wants to replace a car...
    Last edited by BarbieJeep; 05-25-2005 at 09:17 PM.

It depends on the law and the state. In NY we pulled the lemon law card on a used saturn with a bum tranny, it was multiple trips back to fix the same problem. There might be a time clause in there, read the AZ law. This has been going on too long.
    W#0rEing posts since 2003

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast