Can you turn around an air filter?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Can you turn around an air filter? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got my oil changed at the local JL. The guys there said they checked the air filter and ...

Question Can you turn around an air filter?

I just got my oil changed at the local JL. The guys there said they checked the air filter and it looked ok, so they just turned it around and put it back in. It didn't hit me at the time, but this doesn't sound like a good thing to do. Now the dirty side is exposed to the engine, and dirt that was stuck in the filter will be sucked into the engine

Should I just flip it back? Or is this acceptable practice to flip an air filter around?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that doesnt sound right at all ... definately not a good thing. Are you sure thats what they said? Have you checked it yet to see if the dirty side is facing the wrong way?
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

I Support ClubWRX
    Uh, there's only one proper orientation for the filter. I don't understand how it could be flipped upside down and still seat in the airbox.

Jiffy Lube = home of the 30 second oil drain without refill.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I wouldn't let jiffy lube touch a stolen car.

what were you doing at jiffy lube in the first place.
    " I'm a bad man"

I think they turned it 180 degrees, not flipped it upside down. One side of the air filter tends to get dirty quicker due to the air entering the airbox.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Dog
    I think they turned it 180 degrees, not flipped it upside down. One side of the air filter tends to get dirty quicker due to the air entering the airbox.
    That's what I thought, too, but he said "the dirty side exposed to the engine". Hmm, I don't know. Turning it 180 degrees would probably be fine, but replacing the air filter is better if it's that time.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    That's what I thought, too, but he said "the dirty side exposed to the engine". Hmm, I don't know. Turning it 180 degrees would probably be fine, but replacing the air filter is better if it's that time.
    I'm wondering if he actually looked at it, or just took those ass monkey's word for it.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

I just took a look at it. It seemed to be seated properly, with the ruber gasket side pointing up.

The side going to the engine looked dirtier than the intake side. But I agree, there doesn't seem to be a way to turn the filter over and still have the cover fit. He must of just turned it around.

Is this normal? I am not sure when was the last time the air filter was replaced. I bought it at 31500 miles from a dealer and just assumed that they did all appropriate maintence. It's now at 37000 miles.

Thanks for your help!

you can't seat the filter in the box "backwards" or upside down and seal the box. i just won't fit.

If you are wasting your money at Jiffy Lube you obviously have an extra 35 bucks to go buy a Fram Air Hog or K&N Drop in, so do it, you need one anyways!
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Dog

+1

I used to flip the paper ones when I inspected them during oil changes. You'll notice the dirt and grime collects more on one side so why not use the whole filter and flip it to get the other side used too.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.