Bad Noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Bad Noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This has happened to me two times now. The first time i was racing a friend from a stop, this ...

Bad Noise

This has happened to me two times now. The first time i was racing a friend from a stop, this was our second race, and when i had pulled away i slowed down and shifted from 2nd to 4th, but it didnt go into 4th, and there was this grinding noise in the engine. It wasnt a miss-shift, i dont think because i didnt feel a grinding through the shifter. The second time, my friend was driving and we were just going down a road at about 40 in 5th gear, then he rev matched into 4th, and it made the noise again. The noise is almost like a really loud, really fast, really crunchy sounding BOV. Any help plz. BTW i dont think its detonation. AND MY CAR ONLY HAS 6000 MILES ON IT

Cobb stg1, Vibrant Cat-Back, Front & Rear strut bars

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How do you know the noise was in the engine as you say?

Why not 4th gear syncro? That seems likely from your description.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i dont know much about transmissions, so i guess it could be. i just assumed that cuz the shifter didnt rattle, and cuz the sound wasnt like a normal grinding misshift noise, thats not what it was. plus it kinda sounded like it was coming from up-front. but the transmission is partly in front i guess. any more help plz

Id say 4th gear synchro, or maybe even 4th gear, if it was the engine it would do it everytime you shifted and/or you wouldnt need to shift at all.
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

with only 6000 miles on my car, and daily driving. do you think subaru will cover it under warranty?

It's something in the tranny. The engines in these cars don't take up much space front-to-back, so the tranny is largely in the engine bay.

They should cover it under warranty, unless they can somehow prove you were racing or abusing it. The only problem is that if it only happened twice in 6000 miles, and both times were under somewhat harsh conditions, they could easily assume that it was driver error. If it was more consistent, and they could duplicate it, it would be easier to get them to take some action to fix it.

im just gonna keep driving for the next week and see if i can get it to go. second time waasnt a harsh condition btw

btw do you think they will try to void the warranty for having a cat-back, and strut-bars. I knwo how retarted they are over there, i do have the extended warranty though

okay, i was driving to work today after these previous posts, probly took 15 20 minutes to get there. i messed around with the transmission, shifting 2nd to 4th, 3rd to 4th and 5th to 4th rev matching, and just slipping the clutch. Nothing went wrong. This makes me think it was detonation. So right now my only solution i see is to see if it does it again, and get rid off all the old gas cuz i usually fill up every 1/2 tank. I will also ask my autos teacher on monday if he has any idea. I really doubt that it was the tranny now. also i would like to know how bad detonation is for your car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blahblah
    also i would like to know how bad detonation is for your car.
    My personal opinion is that it's catastrophically bad, but other people see it a lot less favourably.

Back to your first post: you said "it didn't go into 4th." Why not? Would the gear not engage?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yeah, it was like i hit something between second and 4th, but that has never happeneed to me before. the second time it made the noise the shifter was in 4th but the clutch was still in

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.