Do WRX's A/C suck ? Or am I crazy ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Do WRX's A/C suck ? Or am I crazy ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got my car with 6000 miles on it. I live in hot and humid so.florida . I didn't think ...

Do WRX's A/C suck ? Or am I crazy ?

I got my car with 6000 miles on it. I live in hot and humid so.florida . I didn't think the a/c was good enough , cycled on and off ALOT !! , blows cool,then sorta cool. Took it to the dealer they said bad hose and replaced it . Still feels the same, 5 days later I take it back and tell them it sucks, after checking it out for a day, they say it's fine no problems found. I can't believe this is as good as it gets !! I waited two months and took it again yesterday. Picked it up today, they tell me " no problems ! " Needless to say at this point I'm pissed !! I get the service writer to sit in it with the thermometer, my car reads coolest while sitting in the shade for 20 minutes was 44 degrees, and would go up to 49 degrees when the compressor kicked off " alot !! " then we went and sat in a STI they had in for service, it read 40 degrees !!! and never budged !!! I keep telling them it's not right, they keep saying it's fine !!! What do I do ??? How are your a/c's ?? they say they can't fix it if it doesn't have a problem !!! I love my car !!! what do I do ?? Any advice would be greatly appreiated !!!! Thanks, Jerry

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine survived through the hell of an Arizona summer just fine last year. I think it works pretty well - WAY better than my last two cars. Maybe you've still got a problem with the system. Take it to another dealer maybe?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I dont know...i have the same problem...my AC is pretty weak...and it pisses me off to when I need it...i donno....same problem here...

I Support ClubWRX
    My WRX has about the best AC of any car I've had. You may be crazy.

We have 10 year old trucks at work with better a/c !! I sat with the service manager also, he said try it for a few days, if it's not good enough bring it back, and he will personally take it home with him to see what I'm talking about. I may give them one more shot " fourth time " and then go to another dealer. It's a real pain to keep taking it back, getting rides back and forth,etc...

I think it all depends on what car you had before the WRX. I used to drive around my parents' Infinitis all the time and that AC can't be beat. I went to the WRX and the cycling really bugged me. I guess you just kind of have to stay off the gas to keep the A/C going. I survived the Arizona heat too, but that is usually with all 4 vents pointed right at me.
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

I don't like my A/C very much. It tends to cycle between warm and cold. When the compressor is running it gets very cold, then it will turn off until the temperature gets a little uncomfortable. Then it will kick back on and get cold. Sounds like the same problem you were having.

Maybe there is a way to trick the temperature sensor? Maybe with a resistor or something that will make it "see" a warmer temperature and thus make the compressor turn on sooner?
    Last edited by Hot_Dog; 05-06-2005 at 04:52 PM.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

I just hate how the A/C kicks on when you put it on defrost in the middle of winter with it all the way hot, I hate that, ALOT! But mine works pretty good, really good considering it has been redlined many many times, oops. Try a grounding kit... supposedly those help too.
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

I just hate how the A/C kicks on when you put it on defrost in the middle of winter with it all the way hot, I hate that, ALOT!
    Then remove the "feature". Disable automatic AC with Defogger

I do have a grounding kit . My old car was an ex-trooper car with heavy duty cooling, so not a fair comparison I guess But I now am so obsessed i feel the air in any car I get in ! My girlfriends 99 civic to my moms 97 camery, all feel WAY better ! I don't think it's normal , but the dealer does .

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Dog
    Then remove the "feature". Disable automatic AC with Defogger
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    My WRX has about the best AC of any car I've had. You may be crazy.
    Same here It's coooooold

That is so going in my sig.

min died last year with about 70k miles on the car. I took it to the dealer, they recharged it, which lasted about 2 days. Then they filled it again with dye in the refrigirant, and when I came back 2 days later because it was empty again they diagnosed it as a leaky compressor. Fortunately my extended 100K miles warranty covered it...and they gave me a loaner car to drive for the 3-4 days they had the car...with working A/C.

at 70% throttle (or close to it) there's a clutch that disengages the A/C compressor so its not eating power when you need it...so if you have a heavy foot, your A/C could be cutting in and out all the time.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Actually while under light throttle it's at it's best !! heavy foot, I know the compressor kicks out. My biggest problems are at idle like at a stop light, it just sucks, I can hear the compressor kick in and out about every 14 seconds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.