Do WRX's A/C suck ? Or am I crazy ? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Do WRX's A/C suck ? Or am I crazy ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by jbreddawg Actually while under light throttle it's at it's best !! heavy foot, I know the compressor ...

Quote Originally Posted by jbreddawg
    Actually while under light throttle it's at it's best !! heavy foot, I know the compressor kicks out. My biggest problems are at idle like at a stop light, it just sucks, I can hear the compressor kick in and out about every 14 seconds.

I think that's just the radiator fan.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it's defenitly the compressor, the rpms drop and the air is actually cool while it's on, as soon as it kicks out, temp starts to rise.

I think its a problem with the concenser not being able to remove enough heat while you're stopped. The extra heat will raise the pressure in the system. The compressor will run until a set vent output temperature is reached, OR until a set pressure.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

The compressor runs off of the engine belt and is most efficient at constant RPMs above idle. A/C will always be pretty warm at idle. In my old Mazda Protege, I had to keep the RPMs up to keep the A/C cooling. The WRX A/C works 100 times better than the A/C in the Mazda, but the temps haven't really been warm enough here yet for me to need A/C for extended periods.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

I bought a thermometer like the a/c tech used. I stuck it in the vent and have been watching it since thursday. during normal driving " not sitting in the shade " it varies between 54 and 59 degrees. to me that SUCKS !! I am going to let the manager take it home with him next week, I hope he will see it is not right. Does anyone have a thermometer they can tell me what readings your getting ???

+1

my AC sucks ass -- my 96 ford taurus has a better unit

now I'm just pissed, my girlfriends girlie car " 99 honda civic " blows 48 degrees during the hottest part of the day !!!

wag
    hondas and toyotas have about the best a/c in the jap market but thats all their good for (except the supra)

Quote Originally Posted by wag
    hondas and toyotas have about the best a/c in the jap market but thats all their good for (except the supra)
    I think they are good for more than that.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

My 91 Nissan Maxima had the best AC I've ever had in a car. Real Freon not the fake 134 crap. When I sold it in 2003 after purchasing my Rex the AC still worked like the day it was purchased new. Hardly caused any noticeable loss of power on the V6 either. This was the only non- 4 cylinder I ever owned. WIfe's Altima puts out good AC also from that big 2.4L

The only bad thing about the WRX AC is that it sucks what little low end you have away. I think it works decent otherwise. It get's cool enough.

Make sure you use the recirc air source. The fan seems to blows faster/harder and the air gets colder than when using outside air.

Well, I'm going to set up an appointment next week to get it looked at "again ! " Subaru called me yesterday to ask me if I was happy with there service !!! boy did I have alot to say !! I'm giving this dealer one more chance , if they don't get it right this time, I'm calling subaru and raising hell !!

BTW, there is a TSB for the A/C. Something about relocating the temp sensor that freezes too easily and shuts off the compressor prematurely. Affects mostly 02 cars and some 03 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Schu
    BTW, there is a TSB for the A/C. Something about relocating the temp sensor that freezes too easily and shuts off the compressor prematurely. Affects mostly 02 cars and some 03 cars.

probably. I had this problem. I'd get cold steam coming through the vents and ice would condense on the them. don't know if its related but i kept losing all my refrigirant too. after 3 refills in a week I got a new compressor....they probably did the temp sensor fix then too....haven't had a problem since.
    go f*** yourself

Here's a quote from the TSB:
    "There is a possibility that icing could occur in the evaporator core of air conditioned equipped Impreza vehicles. During operation under warm, high humidity conditions the customer would notice a diminished output of air from the dash vents causing the cabin temperature to rise. The icing condition can be eliminated by replacing the original Thermosensor with a new fin sensitive type sensor and placing it in the proper location."

I actually had this done, but the cycling still continues, but its colder when the compressor is on But who knows, it may work for you.

The only other thing to check is belt tension, which a few guys said was there problem. Mine makes a somewhat noisy thump when its first turned on. Still haven't got around to checking the belt tension though.

same here...I have to have my A/C belt tightened once a year.
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.