Cylinder Misfire on all four. Please help.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cylinder Misfire on all four. Please help. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After installing a new engine in my subie I've been having problems with cylinder misfires ever since. I know it ...

Exclamation Cylinder Misfire on all four. Please help.

After installing a new engine in my subie I've been having problems with cylinder misfires ever since. I know it has been a common problem on the boards here but mostly with cars that are highly modified. My car is completely stock except for suspension mods. I'm constantly getting CELS for Cylinder misfire. There is always four codes when i get them checked, one for every cylinder. I took it to my local subie dealer one day because i was too busy to deal with it. They tried to tell me it was a problem with my ecu. Well they replaced the ecu under warranty and it did absolutely nothing for my problem. The other day i took a wild guess and replaced the spark plugs. Obviously this didn't work since it's on all four cylinders. That would mean that every spark plug was bad. This theory also makes me believe that it couldn't be the coil packs either. What's my next step to try to find this problem? It usually only does it at stop lights when it's cold out or the AC is on. It's getting really annoying having the car bucking wildly at stop lights. It also sometimes stumbles upon excellerating. Thanks for the help in advance. Let's beat the dealers at knowlege once again.
    2002 Subaru WRX
    -stock as hell
    www.rideminnesota.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MNBodyMan
    This theory also makes me believe that it couldn't be the coil packs either.
    Why couldn't it be the coil packs? They could have all gotten screwed up somehow. It also could be a faulty crank position sensor. If it is cutting out, the ECU would see that as a misfire. It would also make the car run like ass.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

I guess it's possible that it could be the coil packs. But all 4 seems pretty crazy to happen at the same time, plus they looked fine during inspection while changing the plugs. No cracks in them or anything obvious. Is there any way to test the crank position sensor myself to make sure it might be broken?
    2002 Subaru WRX
    -stock as hell
    www.rideminnesota.com

I have the same symptoms as yours right now.
    My dealership has it and after a day and half, they found that the timing belt jumped because the tensioner bolt worked loose. They asked me who's been working in there - guess what - they did when they replace my belt. Now they want to make sure that the valves didn't overlap and get bent.

Good luck but what you describe is dead on to what I had.
    02 Black(or blue) WRX
    San Looee, MO

Wow that's kinda scary. Thanks for the reply, i never even thought about checking the timing belt. I'll get out there and check that ASAP. Let me know if it fixes your problem for sure or not. Right now i have no trust in Subaru dealers at all.
    2002 Subaru WRX
    -stock as hell
    www.rideminnesota.com

Maybe the coil packs are plugged into the wrong cylinders.

Actually it probably wouldn't run so that's probably not it.

So Subaru replaced my timing belt and tensioner and my car runs fine now. I pick it up tomorrow. No charge to me.

Good luck fixing your car.
    02 Black(or blue) WRX
    San Looee, MO

Quote Originally Posted by MNBodyMan
    Wow that's kinda scary. Thanks for the reply, i never even thought about checking the timing belt. I'll get out there and check that ASAP. Let me know if it fixes your problem for sure or not. Right now i have no trust in Subaru dealers at all.
    i've had pretty good luck at brooklyn park subaru with my car.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.