code 440 and 446 with oil leak. related?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on code 440 and 446 with oil leak. related? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my car has had the engine light on for a month or so now and it was only one code: ...

code 440 and 446 with oil leak. related?

my car has had the engine light on for a month or so now and it was only one code: 440, which was evap leak, likely cause loose gas cap. Gas cap wasnt loose or anything but over the next few days the light went off. Now it is back so i went and had it checked again at Pepgirls and now i have two codes; both are evap leak related. I just noticed that my drain plug on the oil pan is leaking a drip so im guessing i need a new washer for that? but my other main question is would this leak cause the code to trip? oil light has not come on at all. any help would be fantastic
    2000 2.5RS I <3 JDM IH8M

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2point5ohyes
    my car has had the engine light on for a month or so now and it was only one code: 440, which was evap leak, likely cause loose gas cap. Gas cap wasnt loose or anything but over the next few days the light went off. Now it is back so i went and had it checked again at Pepgirls and now i have two codes; both are evap leak related. I just noticed that my drain plug on the oil pan is leaking a drip so im guessing i need a new washer for that? but my other main question is would this leak cause the code to trip? oil light has not come on at all. any help would be fantastic
    The evap codes are all fuel system related... the oil leak wouldn't have anything to do with them.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

do you know alot about those codes? where should i start to look?
    2000 2.5RS I <3 JDM IH8M

I Support ClubWRX
    04xx codes are evaporative emission systems codes- meaning there is an air leak in the fuel storage system usually- the most common cause is the loose/bad gas cap. There are several other components to the system, and if the gas cap tighten/replace doesn't fix the code they are challenging at best to diagnose at home. If you're mechanically motivated you can check the fittings around the fuel pump for tightness, other than that you need a scanner to properly diagnose the problem.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

awesome, thanks
    2000 2.5RS I <3 JDM IH8M

just an update

for any noobs doing a search: this ended up being a corroded wire at the canister? im guessing the carbon canister out back. I had to let the dealer find that one out for me. so check for bad wires if you get this code and save some $$
    2000 2.5RS I <3 JDM IH8M

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.