engine cleaning - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on engine cleaning within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Integra96 Just curious, can anyone think of any benefits to keeping an engine bay clean - besides ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    Just curious, can anyone think of any benefits to keeping an engine bay clean - besides appearance?
    I try to keep my engines clean so I can pinpoint a leak/problem right away, and work on them without getting covered in grease.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was always told to turn on my car for about 5 minutes, so its harm, not hot.

Cover all openings, alternator, electronics etc with plastic bags and then put simple green on. Let sit there for a little, open up the hood and spray down with a hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobaroo
    I was always told to turn on my car for about 5 minutes, so its harm, not hot.

Cover all openings, alternator, electronics etc with plastic bags and then put simple green on. Let sit there for a little, open up the hood and spray down with a hose.
    I don't even cover everything, just the intake. I run it for 5 minutes, turn it off, spray it down, and let everything dry out. Most electrical components can get soaked without malfunctioning. As long as you let them dry out, you'll be fine. It's a little unnerving at first, but I've never had a problem. I've had computers get drenched. As long as they're off when it happens and they dry out fully before being turned on again, everything will be OK.

i sprayed down my engine at a car wash the other day when it was still warm and it was kinda cold out ~35 degrees, and the water steamed pretty good. it looked sweet when i closed the hood and the steam came out the scoop.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

iv sprayed mine down after track day and it was fine gosh my engine hasnt looked good in so long =)

I dont know about covering things up but I would just in case, if you are not 100% sure they would be ok getting wet. As far as cleanig it, I have heard that simple green works very well. But I do know that engine degreaser works well, but if you arent leaking anything whats the point? I say just use simple green to keep it clean. Just my 2 cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12