metal on metal grind sound???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on metal on metal grind sound??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i believe i just need new brake pads but it makes a constant metal on metal grinding noise when i ...

metal on metal grind sound???

i believe i just need new brake pads but it makes a constant metal on metal grinding noise when i drive. it actually will stop for a minute when i'm on the brakes. i was told this is the new way they warn you of low brake pads but another friend is worried its a ball joint going out.

i'm pretty sure i just need to replace my front pads, anyone else have this happen?
    '02 silver sooby
    blitz spec r ebc (7 lbs daily, 15.5 spirited, 17 at the track)...turbo xs rfl...vishnu catless uppipe...turbo xs catless downpipe...turbo xs catless catback...k&n drop in filter...step colder plugs...walbro 255...zex wet kit w/purge (55 shot)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Describe the sound a little-- is it high pitched squealing? low grinding? ringin tones? thumping?

It could be brakes... worth pullin a wheel off to look for sure.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

its a metal on metal eeeeeeeee.....like scratching on a chalkboard but not so bad.

loud enough to hear in the cabin with the radio isnt on
    '02 silver sooby
    blitz spec r ebc (7 lbs daily, 15.5 spirited, 17 at the track)...turbo xs rfl...vishnu catless uppipe...turbo xs catless downpipe...turbo xs catless catback...k&n drop in filter...step colder plugs...walbro 255...zex wet kit w/purge (55 shot)

I Support ClubWRX
    The noise you describe certainly could be brakes.. it would be the first thing I checked.

Doesn't sound like a ball joint, they usually make a clunking noise.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    More than likely you're right, the pads are just worn. That sounds like the sound the wear indicators make. Just pull the wheels an look. The wear indicators kick in around 1/8" IIRC.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

just had this issue w/ mine.

the calipers needed to be cleaned up a bit b/c the pads were sticking.

once i did that voila! sound all gone.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

i think i'm going to clean it up tonight and see if that takes care of it. i had a sound like this coming from my supercharged civic a few years back and i took the wheel off looked around, put it back on and bam problem solved.

so hopefully theres just some dirt in there, i was hoping it would fix itself but i dont think thats going to happen. hoping i dont have to replace the pads, they havent been on that many miles and they feel fine.

how much are oem pads for an '02
    '02 silver sooby

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.