The EJ20 and the fram oil filter

This is a discussion on The EJ20 and the fram oil filter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I changed my oil today and noticed something strange when I pulled off the splash guard. The fram oil ...

The EJ20 and the fram oil filter

So, I changed my oil today and noticed something strange when I pulled off the splash guard. The fram oil filter I used last change was a different part number than the one I had JUST bought. When I chaged my oil last fall, I used a fram PH3593A. The reference book that was at autozone didnt list the 04 wrx yet, so I used what it said to use on the 03...I thought -what could be different, its still an EJ20. So today when I went to autozone, the book was updated and it said that the 04 wrx 2.0ltr uses a fram PH6607. So i bought it and its a lot smaller than the 3539A. I double check the book and it lists the 2004 wrx as the 6607 but it lists the 2003 wrx as a 3539A. The updated book also said the 3593A was to be used on the 2.5RS engine. So my question is, if its an identical engine, why does it list two different filters for a model year difference. Will using the 3593A negatively affect my car in any way?? Also, according to the fram website, the 04 wrx uses the 3539A. HEEELP!
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dont worry....i had the same thing happen to me. My case was a puralator.

Anyhow eversince the 04 STi came out Subaru has been using the smaller oil filter to prevent heatsoak fromt he exhaust manifold....

IMO ...using the smaller oil filter should not be a problem at all.

It shouldn't make a difference seeing that all FRAM filters are garbage. If you cut them open it looks like a child folded cardboard and stuck it in there. The Purolator PureOne is the same as the OEM filter...you can usually find them a pep boys.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

I'm a little nutty when it comes to filters, but I prefer the K&N oil filters to just about any others I've tried. The Frams do suck, the Purolators are pretty good, but if you can afford the little extra, I suggest using a K&N. They still have paper elements, but they're a lot more substantial than most of the brands found in typical stores. I read a few online reviews about filters, and the consensus is that Mobil 1 and K&N oil filters are the best.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho
    I'm a little nutty
    The name says it all ...

+1 for the K&N.

i used the M1 filter w/ M1 5w-30 oil....worked pretty well together
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I use Mobil 1 oil and Napa Gold filters on my WRX, but the previous three cars I had used Castrol dino oil and Fram filters and each reached 200,000 miles before the cars died, none of which having anything to do with engine problems (first two fell apart around me, the last one was in an accident).

My $.02.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Poon
    I use Mobil 1 oil and Napa Gold filters on my WRX, but the previous three cars I had used Castrol dino oil and Fram filters and each reached 200,000 miles before the cars died, none of which having anything to do with engine problems (first two fell apart around me, the last one was in an accident).

My $.02.
    I think it has a lot to do with the frequency that the filter is changed. If you are very good about changing your oil/filter every 3000 miles, then I don't think the filter choice maters as much. I have a civic w/ 250,000 and it spent most of its life with FRAM filters. It was my mom's car, but she changed it every 3000 or 4000 miles.

Its hard to say...some engines will just take a beating and keep on going. This friend of my dad's had a car...he NEVER changed the oil or filter. Not once! When the car would need oil added, he would fill it with USED oil. That POS just kept going to well over 200k.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you