Coolant under the IAC valve?

This is a discussion on Coolant under the IAC valve? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I pulled the idle air control valve (IAC) off of my throttle body last night to clean it because I ...

Coolant under the IAC valve?

I pulled the idle air control valve (IAC) off of my throttle body last night to clean it because I was having problems with my idle rising while sitting in traffic. When I pulled it off and looked at the bottom of it, I saw the two holes that needed to be cleaned, but I also noticed an oval shaped section to the right. It was covering an oval shaped "reservoir" on the throttle body that had some kind of green liquid in it. It wasn't much, but there was some in there. Is that coolant? If so, why would there be coolant in there? I didn't see any hoses or anything connected to it, so I don't know how this stuff managed to get in there...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iac.gif  
    -Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Okay, I retract my last statement. It IS coolant, and there is a hose going into the "reservoir". I still don't understand why there would need to be coolant in there though. Oh well... That's why I don't design engines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IACpic.jpg  
    Last edited by Fixxxer; 04-15-2005 at 03:25 PM.
    -Lee

They run coolant through the throttle body to prevent icing during cold weather. This is needed. I had a Chevy that I re-routed the coolant lines to the throttle body. I believe that it did help performance a tad. This was during the summer. But I had a big suprise when I pulled out into traffic on a sub zero day. I had the petal to the floor, got to speed, let off, she kept on going WOT. Had to kill the ignition. Coast to a parking lot. And let the car idle and warm the throtle body up again.