Noise... Dealer "can't replicate"

This is a discussion on Noise... Dealer "can't replicate" within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Am I surprised? No, the dealer can never find the "noise" that you hear. I think they are all deaf. ...

Noise... Dealer "can't replicate"

Am I surprised? No, the dealer can never find the "noise" that you hear. I think they are all deaf.

Anyways, maybe someone here has had the same problem. When the car starts rolling, either in first or even backwards in neutral i hear a "ggrrrrtt" sound that lasts about 1 second and is only heard at a specific speed (approx. 5 mph). I thought is was the clutch, so that is when I tried to let the car roll backwards down my hill in neutral with the clutch out. It still made the noise. The car is not turning, so I don't think the steering has anything to do with it.

Anyone have any ideas.

Not clutch judder, either.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does the niose go away after you drive for a bit or does it usually stay? Can you identify the location of the noise? Does it usually happen when the car has been sitting for a while?

I don't know if it's the same noise I hear, but when I turn and either let off the gas down a hill or put it in nuetral it sounds like somthin is falling off my car or rubbing. Hmm not that I think about it, it's probably rubbing.
    96 Honda Integra Type R
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (DD)
    02 Subaru WRX (sold)
    www.HirevImports.com
    Brandon@HiRevImports.com

sure it isn't the brake pads groaning a bit?
    Dave
    01 RS

I should have given more detail.

The sound happens only once per driving session, for a lack of a better term. It lasts for only a second. Usually occurs after vehicle has been sitting for a while. Use to be only in the morning. Now more frequent. Stop at store, come out 45min. later, it happens. Sounds like something is grinding in right front wheel area. Sounds like gears with no lube on them. Can fluid be low somewhere? Don't think it is brakes. The vehicle has to reach a certain speed for it to happen. I can go 100 feet and it not happen if i am inching along. But if i hit 5 mph it happens.

Hope that helps.....

do you actually feel it in the steering wheel or just hear it? if you feel it at the steering wheel then its proably something to do with the wheel side of things.
    Dave
    01 RS

I just hear it.

hard to tell with out hearing it my self, Check your diff fluids and your CV shafts for play, also check wheel berrings.

I have seen all of the above to make noise at low speed but not high speed.

hope that helps you out.

mikey

may sound wiers, but check your exhaust hangers and mounts........i had the same problem, it turned out to be my exhaust where it was near the tranny.a hanger was bent.....lol