is my new suby broke?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on is my new suby broke? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have my suby for about 6 months now and i experienced hard start for 3 times while it's like ...

is my new suby broke?

i have my suby for about 6 months now and i experienced hard start for 3 times while it's like 40 degrees F.

i use mobile 1 5w30 (after 1k mi break in) and just recently (at 11000 mi) changed to redline on tranny.

does your suby have hard starting once in a while or is it too often in my case?

3 times in 6 months, that's like once every two months.

ray
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

By "hard start", do you mean that it struggles to turn over, like the battery is low, or it turns over longer than usual before starting?

If it struggles to turn over, I don't want to say that it's normal, but mine does that from time to time when it's cold out. I've never had it happen in warm weather though. Do you drive the car very far daily? I think part of my problem was that I only had a 7 mile (city) commute to work, and that's really all I used the car for. So the battery was never really getting recharged properly.

If it turns over fine, but takes longer to actually start, then you might want to try turning the ignition to "on" for a few seconds to let the fuel pump prime before turning the engine over. That's what I do most of the time. Whenever I don't is when it takes a little longer to start.

Hope this helps!
    -Lee

i takes longer than usual to get started. i usually drive 100 miles per day for work (both ways).

i'll try to turn the key in ignition for a few sec then start everytime. hope that makes starting smoother.

thanks for your reply.

ray

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer
    By "hard start", do you mean that it struggles to turn over, like the battery is low, or it turns over longer than usual before starting?

If it struggles to turn over, I don't want to say that it's normal, but mine does that from time to time when it's cold out. I've never had it happen in warm weather though. Do you drive the car very far daily? I think part of my problem was that I only had a 7 mile (city) commute to work, and that's really all I used the car for. So the battery was never really getting recharged properly.

If it turns over fine, but takes longer to actually start, then you might want to try turning the ignition to "on" for a few seconds to let the fuel pump prime before turning the engine over. That's what I do most of the time. Whenever I don't is when it takes a little longer to start.

Hope this helps!
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

Any time!

You can actually hear the fuel pump come on when you first turn the key to "on". Just leave it there until you hear the pump cut off, then start the car. If I remember correctly, the key-in-ignition-"ding"-sound will go off about four times by the time the fuel pump is finished.
    -Lee

I Support ClubWRX
    The wrx is known to have a "weak" battery. You could get a high CCA battery and i'm sure that will help.....listerning for the fuel pump is never a bad idea and I got in the habbit of doing it with every car I drive (menus my work car of course ) I figure if i put the key in and reach around for the seat belt..tap the radio button....then it's time for the car to start fuel primed and ready to go once it idles down.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

my wrx would have that problem but like fixxxer said, turn the key to ''on'' positioin hear fuel pump and its better. Mine never did that after i got rid of an intake i had. Sti hasnt done that yet **knock on wood**

I have had a similar experience, but it hasn't bothered me really. My car is just about as old as yours and I'm right there with you on the mileage. I'm at 12,370 miles since October.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.