Changed tranny fluid, Mobil 1 w/ syncromesh

This is a discussion on Changed tranny fluid, Mobil 1 w/ syncromesh within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I changed my tranny oil at 21k. I was really just interested in what came out after i loosened the ...

Changed tranny fluid, Mobil 1 w/ syncromesh

I changed my tranny oil at 21k. I was really just interested in what came out after i loosened the drain plug.

To my surprise there was just some sludge on the magnet and nothing else, no bits of syncro or anything. So I guess I have been pretty good to my tranny.

I changed it w/ 1 bottle of syncro mesh and 2.8 of mobil 1 75w80.

I took it out for a spin and couldn't really tell a difference. It may be a little smoother but other than that nothing.

Oh well, I need stop being a paranoid freaking and changing my fluids so often I guess.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

really no difference? Where did you find the mobile 1?
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

I bought my mobil1 75 90 at Advanced auto parts, im also running 1 syncromesh and 3 mobile 1 but i used 75w 90
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

er, yeah.... that was a typo. I used 75w90.

Got mine from autozone.

I've kind of shied away from Pennzoil products because they use a paraffinic base for their oils and I have heard about the bad things it does to engines. What is the long-term verdict on Synchromesh? I know trannies don't get as hot as engines, but does Syncromesh wax-up trannies like Pennzoil oil does to engines?
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

You're not going to notice a difference with the Mobil 1 because it has a friction modifier for limited slip diffs. This makes it much more slippery and doesn't allow the synchros to engage correctly. The synchromesh probably counteracts this a little. I would get rid of the mobil 1 and look for an oil that has no friction modifiers like the redline 75w90ns.

I used to run the mobil1 and it was the worst thing ever. Grinds shifting from 3-4 and 2-1. Dumped it out and put 1 quart synchromesh + 2.7qt redline 75w90ns. Now it shifts fast w/ no grinding.
    Last edited by Hot_Dog; 04-28-2005 at 04:35 PM.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

hummm i have 3k with mine using mobil 1 and syncro, not issues at all smooth shifts at any rpm even just below the rev limiter
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

I put 150,000 miles on Mobil 1 with my SE-R, no problems whatsoever. Put 20,000 with Mobil 1 on my WRX, also no problems.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow