Changed tranny fluid, Mobil 1 w/ syncromesh
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Changed tranny fluid, Mobil 1 w/ syncromesh within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I changed my tranny oil at 21k. I was really just interested in what came out after i loosened the ...

Changed tranny fluid, Mobil 1 w/ syncromesh

I changed my tranny oil at 21k. I was really just interested in what came out after i loosened the drain plug.

To my surprise there was just some sludge on the magnet and nothing else, no bits of syncro or anything. So I guess I have been pretty good to my tranny.

I changed it w/ 1 bottle of syncro mesh and 2.8 of mobil 1 75w80.

I took it out for a spin and couldn't really tell a difference. It may be a little smoother but other than that nothing.

Oh well, I need stop being a paranoid freaking and changing my fluids so often I guess.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

really no difference? Where did you find the mobile 1?
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

I bought my mobil1 75 90 at Advanced auto parts, im also running 1 syncromesh and 3 mobile 1 but i used 75w 90
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

er, yeah.... that was a typo. I used 75w90.

Got mine from autozone.

I've kind of shied away from Pennzoil products because they use a paraffinic base for their oils and I have heard about the bad things it does to engines. What is the long-term verdict on Synchromesh? I know trannies don't get as hot as engines, but does Syncromesh wax-up trannies like Pennzoil oil does to engines?
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

You're not going to notice a difference with the Mobil 1 because it has a friction modifier for limited slip diffs. This makes it much more slippery and doesn't allow the synchros to engage correctly. The synchromesh probably counteracts this a little. I would get rid of the mobil 1 and look for an oil that has no friction modifiers like the redline 75w90ns.

I used to run the mobil1 and it was the worst thing ever. Grinds shifting from 3-4 and 2-1. Dumped it out and put 1 quart synchromesh + 2.7qt redline 75w90ns. Now it shifts fast w/ no grinding.
    Last edited by Hot_Dog; 04-28-2005 at 05:35 PM.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

hummm i have 3k with mine using mobil 1 and syncro, not issues at all smooth shifts at any rpm even just below the rev limiter
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

I put 150,000 miles on Mobil 1 with my SE-R, no problems whatsoever. Put 20,000 with Mobil 1 on my WRX, also no problems.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.