O2 sensor question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on O2 sensor question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, My GF's WRX developed an unexplained check engine light, so I take it to the dealership.... they say ...

O2 sensor question

Hey guys,

My GF's WRX developed an unexplained check engine light, so I take it to the dealership.... they say that something "chewed through" the wires of the O2 sensor so it isn't coverable under warrenty. Personally I think it is BS and they are trying to screw me out of $450.

I think this is the rear O2 sensor they are talking about, but I will verify and post again when I get home. I am on the dealerships computer at the moment.

I assume I can get a new sensor for between $50 and $100.... where can I get one?

Thanks,

Keith
    Miss the wifes WRX, but love my Ralliart!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Update!

The "chewing" took place under the hood! At this point I am going to try and splice the wires for the sensor under the hood.

My question now is how do I reset the check engine light after I repair the wires.

Also.... anyone else have this problem? How do I keep this from happening again?

Thanks,

Keith

I Support ClubWRX
    Chewed through? Rodents do eat automotive wiring and will even nest in cars, so there is a chance they're correct. Is the car driven much or is it often parked where there are rodents?

Ask them to show you the damage or see for yourself if there's any evidence that they are correct. However, even if they're not correct, a wire that is physically cut for any reason having nothing to do with the way the car was assembled isn't a warranty issue, it's a matter of damage, so they might still have a point.

If all else fails try subaruwrxparts.com or some such place, or call a few wrecking yards for a used part.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Just unhook the battery for like 10 mins and hit the brakes a couple of times to make sure you get all the juice out of the ECU. Then after the 10 mins put the pos cable back on the batter, and voila... reset ecu!
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourdoor
    Update!

The "chewing" took place under the hood! At this point I am going to try and splice the wires for the sensor under the hood.

My question now is how do I reset the check engine light after I repair the wires.

Also.... anyone else have this problem? How do I keep this from happening again?

Thanks,

Keith
    OK I just saw your last post; I'd responded before you above.

You can try to splice the wires but if you have an impedance mismatch the readings will not be acceptable and the ECU will still complain. If the ignition is turned on repeatedly without any problem being sensed, the light will be turned off automagically, so if you fix the problem you'll soon see no more light. This has the advantage of not requiring you to do a full reset, which may make the car run a little oddly as the ECU has to relearn from base.

I've had rodents try to nest in my engine bay on a car I leave parked most of the year. I used rat poison since it was an enclosed garage that nobody but me had access to, and no pets could get in. If this is not the case, then try adopting a cat.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    Just unhook the battery for like 10 mins and hit the brakes a couple of times to make sure you get all the juice out of the ECU. Then after the 10 mins put the pos cable back on the batter, and voila... reset ecu!

you dont need to wait 10 minutes, like 1 minute and it will go away after pumping the brake

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix 1193
    you dont need to wait 10 minutes, like 1 minute and it will go away after pumping the brake
    i am just anal
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

The car is parked out doors under a car port about a week at a time. My GF and I work at the same place and car pool with one of us driving one week and the other the next week.

I think I will get some of that bad tasting spray they use to teach puppies not to chew on things and spray down my engine bay.

Thanks guys,

Keith

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.