Do you top up 0.1 Litre

This is a discussion on Do you top up 0.1 Litre within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In Canada Mobil 1 comes in 4.4 litre jugs. The 02 WRX engine oil capacity is 4.5 litres. I always ...

Do you top up 0.1 Litre

In Canada Mobil 1 comes in 4.4 litre jugs. The 02 WRX engine oil capacity is 4.5 litres.
    I always supply 2 jugs to my Dealer Service Dept but they put in 1 jug and leave it at that - down 0.1 litre from full. I bought a 1 litre size and topped up myself. What do you guys do, just leave it or also top up?? BTW I find the dip stick in this car difficult to read. It looked to be just over the ADD level indicator before I added some, but hard to tell. Doesn't give me confidence in the true level and I don't want to add too much either. I put in about 1/3 litre and gave it some time to drip down but still didn't read full.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wwwrx
    In Canada Mobil 1 comes in 4.4 litre jugs. The 02 WRX engine oil capacity is 4.5 litres.
    I always supply 2 jugs to my Dealer Service Dept but they put in 1 jug and leave it at that - down 0.1 litre from full. I bought a 1 litre size and topped up myself. What do you guys do, just leave it or also top up?? BTW I find the dip stick in this car difficult to read. It looked to be just over the ADD level indicator before I added some, but hard to tell. Doesn't give me confidence in the true level and I don't want to add too much either. I put in about 1/3 litre and gave it some time to drip down but still didn't read full.
    To check the oil level, I find it is easiest to do so first thing in the morninng, or when the engine is cold. Make sure the car is parked on a level surface, and that the dipstick is in there with the label on the handle the right way up. Then check the level reading off the side with the markings on. Do not read from the other side, since they read at different levels. The side with the letters on is the side you want to look at.

If you do this over and over again, it gets tough to get a good reading, since oil gets left in the tube that holds the dipstick.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Thanks. I did check it this morning before start up but it didn't seem clear. or maybe its too clear being synthetic oil. As far as orientation of the dip stick I'm surprised that would make a difference. Shouldn't the dip stick be pretty much vertical?
    cows may come, and cows may go - but the bull goes on forever

Typically in an oil change , even if you think you get all of the oil out of the engine, you don't and I guarentee that there is more then .1 litre of oil left in your engine. You may be overfilling it.

So your saying go with the 4.4 litre jug & leave it at that....

That is what I would do. It is better to be a little under then over. Although, many people believe if you overfill your engine, the oil pressure rises achieving more horsepower. The was the muscle car era with big block motors and they would overfill them by one full quart and I wouldn't do that with my car.

Well I checked it this morning and its still only 1/3 above the L hole. So I added a bit more. Have probably added 1/3 of a litre on top of the "4.4" Jug the service dept put in. Will check it again in the morning

As long as the level is "range" on the dipstick, you don't need to add oil. When you hit the low level or go below, you need to add oil.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.